Looking For Headers

thatfastcar

Nov 20, 2013
Hey guys, looking into getting some headers. Seeing what you guys are running. Mainly looking for fitment issues, clearance, ect. Looking to get long tubes and h pipe with dumps. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Had bbk longtubes and bbk h pipe with mac pro dumps....badazz sound.

whatever you do, i'd recommend you get the same branded headers and mid pipe to ensure they fit properly. Also, the longtubes are either manual or automatic tranny specific

I have Hooker long tubes with the same H pipe into Spintech ProStreets. Pretty loud but no tone to it. Gonna go with dumped flowmasters. Install on the passenger side is a pain, but the pipes have slip joints on them so you can take the header apart to make install easier

I'm looking for some headers for my 1990LX convertible.

I'll be having my friend install them and he has access to a lift.

Are there any fitment issues with the long tube Headers? Will the existing exhaust have to be modified?

If I choose to go with short tubes equal or unequal length ensure direct fitment.

In both cases what are some good brands?

I'm looking for some headers for my 1990LX convertible.

I'll be having my friend install them and he has access to a lift.

Are there any fitment issues with the long tube Headers? Will the existing exhaust have to be modified?

If I choose to go with short tubes equal or unequal length ensure direct fitment.

In both cases what are some good brands?

Foxbody or SN?

Kurt

Unless you are trying to get ever bit of hp out of it I would recommend un-equal length shorties. I have JBA stainless un-equal length shorties and they fit great.

Long tubes are a more difficult to install and if you have to change a starter or pull the trans they make that job harder.

Long tubes require a matching H pipe and shorties can use your current one.

Foxbody. 7UP convertible.

Longtubes are better, shorties are easier to install. Give a little, take a little. If you get the longtubes, you will need a matching midpipe. It's not exactly exhaust modification, but it definitely is more money. Depends on what you want. If you decide to get longtubes, just get the BBKs. There are no guarantees the matching BBK midpipe will match right up either. Last one I did had to be tweaked a little. I had to tie a ratchet strap around the inlet tubes and crank it down to get them in the right position.

Kurt

Longtubes are better, shorties are easier to install. Give a little, take a little. If you get the longtubes, you will need a matching midpipe. It's not exactly exhaust modification, but it definitely is more money. Depends on what you want. If you decide to get longtubes, just get the BBKs. There are no guarantees the matching BBK midpipe will match right up either. Last one I did had to be tweaked a little. I had to tie a ratchet strap around the inlet tubes and crank it down to get them in the right position.

Kurt
What? No big green guy under the car to help you? Hulk, where are you?

Reactions: 1 user
So a friend of mine gave me some free 1 5/8" shorty unequal length headers. Unfortunately I can't tell you which brand they are.

Just curious what kind of realistic hp gains I've made. Car has only 62k, is stock other than the headers, off-road H pipe and flowmaster super 44 mufflers.

So a friend of mine gave me some free 1 5/8" shorty unequal length headers. Unfortunately I can't tell you which brand they are.

Just curious what kind of realistic hp gains I've made. Car has only 62k, is stock other than the headers, off-road H pipe and flowmaster super 44 mufflers.
Short answer not enough to notice on a stock mustang regardless of the catback, which doesn't add much except a exhaust note.

Long answer
Only thing it will add is you have to replace your off-road h pipe for a mid pipe.

If it has headers on it already, you might notice a lil kick in pants feel for a week but then you realize the new rits crackers you’re enjoying is just like the same old saltines...except it was a PITA to put on
and you had to spend more money.

My vote is a turbo or supercharger ;)

The car had stock headers on it before.

So you think the headers only added 5hp? And what about the rest of the combo with h pipe and mufflers?
Even if you ran the headers, had all the typical upgrades: TB, CAI, wires, 24lbs injectors and MAF ( overkill for stock)

And ran the matching midpipe you would still dyno anywhere from the 210hp- maybe 230hp range.

Maybe a few less with the stock and or storties. Again you might notice the difference. Put it on and find out.

Or

Check out this thread and see what different combos make
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/guess-my-h-p-the-dyno-1-4-mile-time-thread.677534/