Love my new job!

'69Mach1Chick

There's no grass left to cut.
Apr 1, 2002
North Jersey
So, I just started my new job on monday and i love it! My boss is real cool and it is so much fun. Most of the shops around here wouldn't hire me because I am a girl, but this guy really wants to give me a chance to learn some stuff before i go to Wyotech. I figured i was going to be sweeping floors and cleaning up around the shop, but the first day i got there i ground a mustang door and an old impala fender to the bare metal. Then i drilled holes for the molding. It was fun, lol. My hands were shaking for the rest of the day though because i have never used those machines before and i was using them from 2:30 when i got to work till 6 when I left. The second day he put me right to work too. I wetsanded a '67 fastback with shelby kit on it. I love it and can't wait to go back! Hopefully welding will be next!

• Sponsors (?)

The shop doesn't do any motor work. That was dissapointing, but I have some projects to learn on during the summer and people who are going to teach me sme more stuff. Hopefully, when school is out in 3 weeks i can quit my job at the bridal shop and work at the body shop in newton too. Well i can't wait till i go back! Lol, i had off today because my boss is up in vermont delivering a bentley.

Your lucky. I would love to work on cars and get paid for it, but I would kinda feel bad because I couldn't really call it work because to me it would just be having fun. The best job I ever had was a summer job at a machine shop. Anyway, good luck with yours.

yeah it is so great to get paid for getting an education! Lol, my mom won't let me take anything apart in our garage so this gives me a chance to tear stuff up and put it back together without someone giving me sh$$ about it.

So, i went to work again. Another exciting day! I used the plasma cutter(funnest tool ever!) and i cut out the seat pans and floor boards in one of the first mustangs ever built. 1964 1/2. Exciting right? I go back tommorow and i do the other side. My back is killing me but im toughing it out, lol. The cutting wheel is not my favorite tool, and the air chisel is pretty cool.

I have no experience at all. I've never done any bodywork! Actually, my car is for sale and this guy called me and wanted to meet to look at the car. I go to school right down the road from his shop and i told him i would stop by one day after school. I went there and almost died when i pulled in. Mustangs were piled everywhere! On the lift, under the lift, outside the garage, i mean everywhere! I told him all about where im going to school and stuff and he asked if i was working anywhere. I was offered a job at another shop, but this one offered more of a chnace to see the entire cars down to their frames. All he does is frame up restos. So he told me to come back and we'd talk. So i went back and he put me right to work. I went to the chiropractor last night, but im still sore today. Well, back to work tonight and it's payday! Finally i will be getting paid and i can add it to the money in my wallet instead of paying it right to a debt.

Hey!

Welcome to the working world! Glad you're enjoying it! My first welding experience was replacing chepie's rails & pans! It's a rarity to have a female in your profession!

When you are good, you can paint Cobrask8!!

LOL...from a bridal shop to a plasma cutter all in one summer. What a transition.

For all of you who dream of working on cars for a living, imagine what it is like to repair rusty Chevettes. To need a chiropractor every day. To deal with weather and have cars drip on you for hours. To never be clean.

Just know that when you go into the automotive service industry, it's a demanding job physically. While that is all cool when you're 25, it's hard to get out of bed 20 years later. Don't want to piss on parades, but if you can engineer work around the cool stuff and stay away fropm the crap, you've got it 90% licked.

Lol, well i will have a business degree when i get out of school too. This way I will have the experience, knowledge, and qaulifications to do the work but be smart enough to manage others and build up a good company where i will have a choice in what work I do. I love marketing and advertising and I do photoshopping in school. We have already been through the design process of making logos, ads , etc. And i will save time and money because of all the stuff i learned in DECA. We learned a lot about government standards and where to get free help for smaller businesses. I also have this idea for when i open my shop. I want to have a small station in just a corner with a computer. I can have all the color samples etc. I will scan and photoshop pictures of clients cars and show them all the potential of their vehicles. I've heard of some places doing this but i figured you can charge a lot of money for something that you can do in a few minutes.