Mach 1 Whipple Swap

Mustang92

SN's #1 1%er
Jun 6, 2001
South Florida
The car was already converted to a Eaton set up by me a few months back but I started having oil pressure issues shortly after finishing and started on the next step of my project. I had a shortblock built so I could run more boost and in the process I'm changing a few things on the car.

Here is a pic after I completed my Eaton swap. I made 411RWHP with 15* of timing and 8.5lbs of boost with this set up.
1000653u.jpg

While the shortblock was being assembled I went ahead and stepped up and bought a Whipple 3.4.
1000733j.jpg

The D&D Viper Spec 6 speed that will be replacing the 3650 that came in the car.
1000734.jpg

The new shortblock ready for me to start the longblock assembly.
1000739b.jpg

Bill

• Sponsors (?)

I picked these up from Modular Head Shop. My stock 04 heads ported with Livernois valve springs, new guides and valve seals.
1000815p.jpg

1000820.jpg

1000831.jpg

1000818n.jpg

I'll be starting the longblock assembly this week as well as buttoning up the front suspension changes I made while the car was down.

Bill

Bill, what size/brand tire are you going to run on the car? Have you made any changes on the suspension? It's good to see you back around.

Mark

I have two sets of wheels. The 18's have MT DRs 305/35/18's on the rear and my 15's will have MT DR 275/60/15s on them. Although eventually I may give Nittos a try again on the 18" wheels as they worked pretty decent with the Eaton set up.

Rear suspension is pretty much the same as it was, front suspension is entirely different. I had stock K-member, Tokico adjustables and Eibach pro kit and went to UPR K-member, QA1 adjustables and coil overs.

Bill

That thing should fly!

There is a guy here locally that has a stock Eaton on his Mach. It's a stock Eaton, with a stock pulley, on his untouched Mach 1 motor, his only non-OEM Ford parts are longtubes, catback, and a CAI.

Runs 11.90's with a bunch of factory parts.

That thing should fly!

There is a guy here locally that has a stock Eaton on his Mach. It's a stock Eaton, with a stock pulley, on his untouched Mach 1 motor, his only non-OEM Ford parts are longtubes, catback, and a CAI.

Runs 11.90's with a bunch of factory parts.

Yep they run good with just the stock set up. I only got to make about 6 passes in mine before I ran into oil pressure issues and went 12.32 in 90* with minimal timing.

Finally got some time to work on it and got the heads installed.

1000852j.jpg

Timing chains on and cam timing done.

1000858d.jpg

Timing cover and valve covers back on.

1000859v.jpg

I have maybe another hour worth of work and it's ready to drop back in the car.

Bill

Unless I missed it, are you still running stock cams or have you stepped up to a custom grind?

Stock cams, Livernois springs to handle the higher boost. After lots of research I found that aftermarket cams just aren't worth it. Very few really pick up any real power, a fair amount of them have issues down the road and the cost vs. power ratio sucks. 03/04 Cobras will make 600RWHP with just the 3.4 and that's what I'm looking for and shouldn't be a problem.

Bill