Mach 460 6 disc swap completed

• Sponsors (?)

Since I have gotten no feedback i decided to take things into my own hands...I have wrote up a manual on how to do the swap based upon the wireing schematics i got from work, I'm going to try it out tomarow and see how it works....I'll let you guys know how it works!

-Ryan

Hey GTvert....I got my 6 disc in and powers up and everything but i cant figure out how to get signal to the speakers and amps....you said you bypassed the amp under the dash...how did you do that? I would really appriciate it because i been wantin to do this for a while now theres no turning back...already cut the dash and got it in there, i just gotta get some sound...Please help me out bud!

thanks,
ryan

Sorry guys. I've been super busy at work and un-able to respond.

This should help.

Unplug ALL 3 connectors on the high pass amp mounted under the stereo. The connector on the left (as you look in the hole) is the outputs to the rear amps. I think it is a 8 or 9 pin plug. Make a wiring harness from the small connector on the back of the CD6 to this connector. This is the low pass signal harness. I Don't remember wire colors but you can get those from the schematics. I think these were all solid color wires. I pretty sure the Middle connector from the amp that is the speaker connections to the high pass speakers. Make your harness to from the back of the CD6 to this connector. Again, use your schematics.

Left me know if you need more help.

Again, sorry for the delayed response.

Well i did what i thought was right and i am only getting sound out of my rear tweeters (highs) and nothing else. any ideas what i did? this is how i wired...
-In the wiring schematics it said the harness that plugs into the far right (passenger) side of the dash amp is the wiring for the speaker outputs so i wired my speakers from my 6 disc into there. then i wired I think it was the middle harness thats for high and low audio, im guessing thats the sub outputs? anyway i wired the that harness to the back of the 6disc for the high and low audio. I turn on the radio and only get sound from rear tweeters...any idea?

i been tinkerin around with for over 6 hours and now im fed up...my guess is that for some reason my amps arent coming on to power my subs...whats the deal?

thanks,
ryan

-Now that i think about it...i remember you saying that you used the far left harness(looking into hole) you disconected from the hi-pass amp to wire the rear amps, i thought that was just the other end of the harness i unplugged from the stock head unit, so i didnt use that one..i wired the speaker leads from the 6 disc into the center harness that i disconected from the amp and it seems like i got my "highs" although only the rears are working, if i move the wires around a little it will make the front tweeters work...so i guess my main problem is that i have no bass...did i wire the wrong harness? i used the one on the far right of the hi pass amp because the schematics book showd the wires as "subwoofer HI" and "subwoofer Low" both - and + leads plus the mutes, is that what i screwed up?
-thank you for your help so far, i really hope i can work this out.

Fortunatlely for me. The CD6 I got off of ebay had the connector and part of the wiring harness for the rear signals already attached to the unit. That connector is located about in the middle of the unit towards the bottom and is black. Had all solid color wires. This harness goes into the harness you unplugged from the left side (as you look into the hole) of the high pass amp. That plug on the end of that harness had the same color of solid wires. easy hook up for me cus I had both connectors with the wire colors.

As for the front speaker signals. I'm pretty sure it was the middle connector from the high pass amp that had these wires. Again, use your schematics for color coding.

The right most connector on the high pass amp I just left unplugged. It's all the power stuff for that amp.

After all this you have completely "bypasses" the high pass amp.

Hope this helps. (some more)

Thank you very much, im gonna give all that a try tomarow and i have my fingers crossed that it works, sucks for me because i had no harness's so i have had to cut and conect everything by hand....anyway i had one quick question for you about the sound quality. Is it better? because my bros 02 has the 6disc mach 460 and i think it sounds 100xs better and the bass doesnt cut out after mid volume like the 99-00 doubble dins do...so how does yours sound?

im screwed

Well, i tried using the wires from the left harness looking into the hole and i still have no amps...no offense, i really appriciate your help but our wires may be different or maybe you got confused because my schematics book i got from ford says the far left harness is all speakers wires (left front, left rear, right front, right rear, - and + ) the middle one are also speaker wires which i wired up and got sound out of, therefor i guess those are the outputs..then the far right harness it says in the book that the wires are (high audio, low audio, both + and - plus the mutes) isnt that for the bass and amps? Sorry for all the questions but i kinda screwed my self here because i got this mess.. anyways just help me with what you can and thanks again, i just dont know what wires take signals to the rear amps?

-ryan

I'm trying to do what I can to help ya bud. I don't know anything about "high pass" and "low pass" audio and "mutes". Tell ya what. If I get a chance tonight or tomorrow I will pull my unit out and get some pictures of the harnesses that I made and where they connect. That should help us move along. Maybe our wiring and units are different. The pictures will tell.

Do you have all of you high signals working at every corner?

If you could, take some pictures of the back of your CD6 so I can see if it is like mine.

MY BAD Kovacs22.

I was wrong about the connectors on the back of the high pass amp.

The one on the left (looking in) is the un-amplified signals to the rear amp and all your low pass sound. Connect from this harness to the small connector on the back of your CD6 that is most towards the middle and sticks out a little from the back of the unit. This connector on the back of your CD6 is un-amplified low-pass signals that will be amplified by the 2 rear amps.

The right-most connector (looking in) on the back of the amp is your high-pass speaker lines that run directly to the speakers. Connect your speaker outs from the CD6, which are incorporated in the biggest connector, along with all the power and ground stuff, to this "flat inline" connector. These are amplified high pass signals comming out of the CD6.

The middle connector on the amp is just left un-plugged.

While you are there, do the speed sensitive volume mod. It's REALLY helpful in a convertible.

I was going to try and take pictures but my camera is in my wifes SUV and she's out.

Hopefully this will help. I know this is fustrating cus I went thru the same thing for about 2 weeks before I finally figured it out.

Let me know how it goes.

Scott

GtvertY2k

Thank you so much for helpin me out so much with this and taken yours back apart to help me out. I REALLY appriciate your help on this, i cant wait to finaly get this done and over with, im going to try to get it all done within the next few days and i'll let you know how it works out, anyways glad to hear from you, and thanks again bud!

-Ryan

still tryin to figure it out..

well i finaly got the time to play with the 6 disc again and i got good news and bad news....good news is that i got all 4 tweeters workin fine, but i still have no bass, i just cant figure it out...i been lookin at the schematics book alot and i think that what i said about the harness containing the High anf Low audio signals ( which is the far right harness looking into the hole) are the singal which the rear amps amplifie and send to the subwoofer speakers, so i tried that with still no bass, so i think that so far i got everything right expect a few last things need to be corrected, because it doesnt seem that when i turn the key, i dont hear any of the rear amps power up (usualy i can hear them make some sort of a low "pop" sound) so i think there is just some wire that sends the signal for them to turn on and i probably dont have it hooked up....so what im thinkin, is that one or more of the wires that arent connected to anything must be whats keepn the amps from powering up.

the wires that arent hooked up (for whatever reason?) are:
on the radio harness which contains the power, illumination and speaker outputs, there is a "RADIO ON OUTPUT" which is OG/LB and the other unconnected wire is a "RADIO ON OUTPUT MUTE" (DB), what do these wires do? im guessing the first one might be power for the amps...but what do i conect it to?

anyways sorry for the long post...im just tryin to finish this up so if you can help me out please let me know....if i can i might be able to scan some pages from the schematics book if it wil help..

-Ryan

Kovacs22,

I'm 100% positive that the left most harness is the signals to the rear low-pass amps.

I now remember using a test light a lot towards the end of my install. Maybe I was trying to get the "power on" signal to the rear amps. Based on the description you gave of the OG/LB "radio on output" wire, it should be connected to an amp input.

Try this, Hook up all wires the way I did. (High pass to the right side harness and low pass to the left side harness) then connect the OG/LB wire to the same connection as your "12V ignition" power. See if that works.