MAF Conversion compatibilty Question!

MadMatt5oh

Jan 10, 2003
St Paul, MN
Im looking into buying an Computer, harness, and possibly the stock meter from a friend for a good price for my car.

His car is a smashed up 1990 GT 5 speed.

I was told by someone at work today (fox owner) that a 1990 computer is just that. A 1990 Mus-tang computer that will ONLY work with 1990 Mus-tangs! Not 89's or 91's but just 90s!

Please? Someone tell me if this true or not!

I need an INFORMED OPINION before I make this purchase. Not HERESAY!

So please, if you know - especailly by personal experience or verifiable info please let me know!

Once I give my buddy the money its his money as I promised him. A deal is a deal :bang:

Will it work with my 88 5 speed? :shrug: :(

• Sponsors (?)

yes it will work and this is all you need
i used an 88 cali eec on my 87 speed density car...works like a charm....i got the maf with the connectors and wires yanked out of the firewall, just fished them through and spliced into the eec harness...make sure you have a tranny matched eec....just to steer clear of headaches...and you dont need tools to pull eec pins, just give it a tug...after you take the red pin locker out....but you will need two extra eec pins...i grabbed some off of my 86...
and whats the big diff between 88-91 mass air cars.... only thing i would worry about is the airbags in later year cars...

Computers from 89-92 are all the same. Look for the A9L sticker on the back cover for a 5 speed that matches your requirements. Example E9ZF 12A650 AA" with the A9L code.

Mass air wiring harnesses are a differnt story:

Copied From bbunt302

Just for reference, here's a list of all the compatible years:

89 harness should work for 86-89 as long as you're using mass air.
90 harness will only work in a 90. (B/c of air bags and dual dash connectors)
91 through early 92 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under driver's seat)
Late 92 through 93 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under the hood)

If Im not mistaken, the A9L is for the 5 speed and the A9P is for the Automatic. Now a computer for an automatic will work for the 5 speed as will the A9L, But only the auto computer can run the Automatic transmission equiped cars. Just for GP..........

MadMatt5oh said:
So I what I can use is the 90's MAF and A9L but that is it? I cant easily modify the harness?

I can use all other MAF equiped Fox harnesses except 90?

If you are an electrical whiz with sparks shootin' out your fingers, you could make the 90 harness work. :D

Given enough time, energy & money, there's no limit to what you can make work. Unfortunately most of us don't fall into that category.

Copied From bbunt302

Just for reference, here's a list of all the compatible years:

89 harness should work for 86-89 as long as you're using mass air.
90 harness will only work in a 90. (B/c of air bags and dual dash connectors)
91 through early 92 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under driver's seat)
Late 92 through 93 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under the hood)

You don't need a full harness, all you need is the plug that goes into the MAF, and the wires sticking out of it. That's all my friend and I used to put a setup from a 93 into my 87. You splice the small plug into your existing harness, and you're set.

astronut1885 said:
You don't need a full harness, all you need is the plug that goes into the MAF, and the wires sticking out of it. That's all my friend and I used to put a setup from a 93 into my 87. You splice the small plug into your existing harness, and you're set.

Sweeet! Thanks man! Any idea where I could find that splicing procedure - possibly with pics? :nice: