make my 66 launch

speedy66

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2000
glendale,arizona,usa
ok.. looking for a good racing suspension that is somewhat street mannered as well..

stock suspension is:
Front:
Eibach 620's with 1 inch drop
kyb gas adjust shocks
no sway bar
rear:
stock never been replaced leaf springs
air shocks

my idea:
front.. progressive rate coils
Comp engineering drag shocks

rear..have to keep airshocks cause of the rear tires
not sure about leaf springs

any one have anygood ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

first put an anti-roll bar on the front using quick disconnects for the track. the front suspension you are planning is good. the rear i would replace the springs with 5 leaf springs, and add traction bars, for drag racing the cal tracs are good ones but i like the shelby style underride bars. reinforce the upper shock mount if you plan on keeping the airshocks as they have a tendency to punch through the floor pan.

speedy66 said:
ok.. looking for a good racing suspension that is somewhat street mannered as well..

stock suspension is:
Front:
Eibach 620's with 1 inch drop
kyb gas adjust shocks
no sway bar
rear:
stock never been replaced leaf springs
air shocks

my idea:
front.. progressive rate coils
Comp engineering drag shocks

rear..have to keep airshocks cause of the rear tires
not sure about leaf springs

any one have anygood ideas?

If you are talking a drag style launch, you need to get rid of the air shocks and install some springs and shocks that will allow for better transfer from the front to the rear for improved total performance.

If you are really serious about a drag suspenion and want to continue with yorur 275, a 4 link setup seems like the ideal choice for you, that will also allow you min tub out the inner wheel wells and increase your rim backspacing slightly to suck those tires under the car. ;)

If you are looking for a relatively easy fix that is still quite good, I recommend the shelby style underriders (traction masters). I would caution you though, this weld the front floor pans which can be a weak spot. I installed TCP subframes before installing mine because the subframe bars not only stiffen the body flex helping on launch but because they provide a pocket to weld the underrider into so it is not on the sheet metal. With your rear up the way yours is though it might actually effect the front mounting point for a standard under rider bar (I honestly don't know what your set up does to under car geometry). You can also upgrade the bars in a standard traction master to a set of these: http://www.secureperformanceorder.c...D=14&ClassID=186&SubclassID=889&ProductID=765 and order it the correct length for your needs. I plan on purchasing a set of these in the future. They are more for opentrack IMO, but I feel they would still provide improvement in overall performance.

AS an FYI, I a 9 inch with 4.11 gearing and have a 2.85 first gear with 255 40 17 tires. I run a 408 cube stroker cleveland in my 65 Fastback and with the shelby style under riders I do not get wheel hop. The car simply plants and smokes (or goes) depending on how heavy footed I am and the condition of the street I am on.

Front suspension:
Loose the Shelby mod. Its great for handling, bad for drag racing.
Most 620 coil springs drop the front 1". Not good for drag racing, a set of 520 springs (GT coils) would be a better choice.
A front sway bar is a must for street use, but not good at the track. Its not hard to remove when its time to race
If you're willing to swap front shocks, get a set of 10/90 for the drag strip and use KYBs up front on the street.

Rear Suspension:
GT leaf springs or a 4 1/2 leaf spring
LOOSE THE GAS SHOCKS, KYB shocks are fine in the rear!
(I run a 255 60 R15 tire and don't need gas shocks.)
Traction Bars are a must, I use Cal-Tracs

Chassis:
Move the battery to the rear (get as much weight off the front of the cars as possible)
Monte Carlo bar and export brace are a must!
Subframes are highly recommended

As for your tires, if you're going to race on a somewhat frequent schedule, get TWO sets of rear tires. A nice street tire for street use and a great slick for drag racing.

here's my suspension... work in progress...

1.6cyl front springs........ recent upgrade from 720's
2.90/10 adjustables front......recent upgrade from kyb's
3.kyb's rear
4.no front sway bar
5.subframe connectors
6.monte carlo bar
7.battery relocation kit
8.P-O-S stock leafs....need to upgrade
9.P-O-S 40$ slapper bars.....need to upgrade
10.shelby A-arm drop.....need to put back to stock

see sig. for an old mustang my 60' isn't that bad, but i still have alot of room for improvement :rlaugh: and i haven't tried out my 2 new upgrades. :banana:

stangman67 said:
12 sec 67- why are you going back to stock with the A-arms?

stock back to A-arm location and get rid of the shelby a-arm drop. from what i hear the stock location is better for drag racing...right? :shrug:

if not please someone let me know before i go through all the trouble.

Thanks

Rich