MGW shfiter questions

• Sponsors (?)

+42 for the MGW!

My reverse is tough to get into at times, mostly when cold outside, but its not the shifter. I can rack the shifter thru the rest of the gears then it'll slide ride into reverse. The only reason I ever miss 3rd now is because I overshift past it.

stangGT97 said:
the MGW is an excellent shifter! All shifts are effortless, just push/pull the lever and you're in gear. When I installed mine, I used a silicon gasket, but I would not recommend that - they fall apart really easily. Use the RTV that MGW supplies, it seals up well and keeps things fairly quiet. I also replaced my inner boot because it was cut from a previous shifter install. I love my shifter!

I just ordered mine from stangmods.com cuz I was getting some other stuff as well and they offered their shifter gasket along with it. So, I should'nt use the gasket?

Hey GDawg, is that the MGW composite knob in the pic? If so, me likey. I also ordered that one but with the GT logo in silver. Can't wait for it to arrive.

+1 on the MGW. Major difference between stock and the MGW is the very positive clicks into each gear. Half the time with the stock it felt like a guess, after a day with the MGW you'll be sure and no grinding....

Hotwad02GT said:
Hey GDawg, is that the MGW composite knob in the pic? If so, me likey. I also ordered that one but with the GT logo in silver. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Yes... I was going to get the "GT" one cause that's what my car is but I decided on the pony instead. It goes with the developing style of my car.

They are really nice knobs and...

...the best thing about them... is the "Pistol Grip". I can grab hold and slam my shifts comfortably. I love it!!! :nice:

00772928.jpg

Attachments

• 00772928.jpg
    00772928.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 49
You can use it if you want or the RTV that you get with the shifter. Advantages for using the gasket is that you don't necessarily need some sealer with it and when you remove the shifter, it should come off easily. Supposedly they also reduce the noise that comes through the shifter but I don't have one on mine and don't mind the noise. Which is not much more than stock.

Nater said:
You can use it if you want or the RTV that you get with the shifter. Advantages for using the gasket is that you don't necessarily need some sealer with it and when you remove the shifter, it should come off easily. Supposedly they also reduce the noise that comes through the shifter but I don't have one on mine and don't mind the noise. Which is not much more than stock.

This is all in principle. After you tighten down your shifter, the gasket gets completely FUBARed and is not reuseable. It's better to apply a thin layer of RTV, allow it to sit for about 15 minutes, then put the shifter on top of the tranny. Put the bolts in so that everything is lined up and just lightly tighten them. After an hour or so, torque to spec and you should be golden!

About finding reverse - at least on the T-45, reverse is not syncronized, so that is why sometimes you need to roll forward a bit or put it in other gears prior to being able to put it in R

stangGT97 said:
About finding reverse - at least on the T-45, reverse is not syncronized, so that is why sometimes you need to roll forward a bit or put it in other gears prior to being able to put it in R

Haha, I didnt know reverse wasnt synchro'd when I first got the car (first manual trans)... I thought the tranny was going out within the first day. I let it idle in nuteral, than just pushed the clutch in and went for reverse... GRRRIINNND... I was like WTF!!! NOOO!!! Then someone explained it to me, and ive been golden since. I usually just put it in 5th and go for reverse, but any forward gear works... and inching up is required to get it into reverse sometimes, like said.

BurningRubber said:
Haha, I didnt know reverse wasnt synchro'd when I first got the car (first manual trans)... I thought the tranny was going out within the first day. I let it idle in nuteral, than just pushed the clutch in and went for reverse... GRRRIINNND... I was like WTF!!! NOOO!!! Then someone explained it to me, and ive been golden since. I usually just put it in 5th and go for reverse, but any forward gear works... and inching up is required to get it into reverse sometimes, like said.

haha yeah same here man... the worst is sometimes it doesnt completely engage so you're kinda in reverse, kinda not - when you let the clutch out it grinds like mad. That hasn't happened in a while, especially now with my new clutch/release bearing etc in there.

I have an MGW in my GT and a Pro 5.0 in my Cobra (T-56). The MGW is smoooooooth as hell. Shifts are crisp and effortless and now I can put a drink in my front cupholder without getting it knocked out in the 2nd and 4th gear shifts. The Pro 5.0 is a little better than stock, but it does not nearly compare with the MGW unit. I've also driven a GT with a Steeda Triax shifter and it doesn't compare with the MGW unit. I plan to upgrade my Cobra with an MGW shifter for my T56 very soon.