Engine Mismatched Trick Flow System

chuzie

Jul 22, 2011
I just bought an engine from someone and it came with a Trick Flow intake and Edelbrock 70mm TB. Other than that, everything else is stock includingthe MAF and housing.

My question is, what are the implications of running it like it is. I assume it is pointless since the MAF housing is bottlenecking the system from the get go.

My next question is, what MAF and housing should I run to get this set to match and function properly and can my A9L handle running a different MAF without tuning it?

• Sponsors (?)

Nothing wring with running different brands as far as i know. But yes, do what fabbed said about the MAF. Make sure its calibrated to your injectors though.....itll run horrible if its not in mg experience

Correct, they are 19lb injectors. I am not sure if a 73mm MAF from a 95 will be compatible with a A9P. Please correct me if I am wrong.

So the MAF needs to be calibrated to the injectors and the computer won't really care that it thinks the MAF is stock? I guess that is where the calibrated MAF comes into play?

I'm running a 76mm MAC MAF housing with the factory sensor and a 70mm Summit brand TB with no problems. if you just want to get a bigger housing and you dont have plans to go with bigger injectors any time soon just get the body and save some coin....they also make a 73mm.

Okay, I think I am going to try to snag a MAF housing off a early 90's Cougar / Thunderbird and a MAF with code F2VF-12B579-A1A or A2A and see how it goes first before I go and drop some serious coin.

The MAF body and sensor are designed to match each other. Therefore you can't swap sensors between different part number MAF bodies and maintain proper calibration. The assembly is designed to match the computer’s internal program, and swapping a different MAF can upset the computer's calibration.

The OEM Ford MAFs are not calibrated to injector size. The injector sizing is done in the computer’s internal programming. Aftermarket MAF’s “lie” to the computer in an attempt to fool the computer into changing the injector pulse on timing to match the increased airflow.

The only other MAF that is a one for one swap for a 93 and earlier 5.0 Mustang is the 94-95 Mustang MAF.

94-95 Mustang GT MAF - $40-$100. It is 70 MM instead of the stock 55 MM on regular stangs built prior to 94. It uses a slip on duct on the side that goes to the throttle body and a 4 bolt flange on the other. You need a flange adapter to fit the stock slip on air ducting that goes to the air box. Wiring plugs right in with no changes. *1 *2

Once your replacement 70MM MAF is in place, disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes. When you reconnect the battery and start the engine, the computer will relearn the settings for the new MAF.

*1.) Metal flange adapter http://www.kustomz.com/cat3.html Buy the TR70 for $44.95. Or spend some time on eBay looking for one that may fit.

*2.) MAF & sensor interchange
The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF & sensor is also found on:
1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
Evidently the –A1A, -A2A, AA, etc. on the end of the part number is a minor variant that did not change the operating specs. You should be able to ignore it and have everything work good.