MM Clutch Cable problems

TwoToneHatch

Mar 22, 2007
New Jersey
Last night I installed the Maximum Motorsports clutch quadrant,firewall adjuster , and their oem Ford clutch cable. With the FWA threaded all the way out I still have alot of freeplay. I can freely move the pedal about a 3 inches which is much more than the 3/4 inch of play my BBK kit had. Any suggestions? I tried to call MM but the call wouldn't go through.

• Sponsors (?)

Have you driven it yet?

The reason I ask is because there are several different perceptions of what "free play" should be.

Is the cable coming off the quadrant taught?

The car seems to drive ok but I have to push the clutch pedal about an inch past the brake pedal for the clutch to start to disengage. The cable is routed the way MM said to do it, and everything looks ok.

Maximum motorsports designed their kits to utilize a oem non adjustable cable which they include with their FWA and Quadrant.

Trudat... You have the same system that I do. I'm running the SN95 Cable to allow for extra routing.

The way I have mine setup is that the "up" position puts the pedal an inch or so higher (toward the driver) than the brake petal. Clutch release starts an inch or so past the brake pedal. So I guess I have one to two inches of travel. I had to fine tune after the new install so I got two things:

Smooth shifting (meaning I got full clutch release) and no clutch slip.

If you have those two things, you're good.

What you may not be used to with that quadrant is that it is shaped for quick release. What that means is that pedal is going to be REALLY easy at the top and more firm at the bottom. You actually need two people to ensure correct release... you need somone to watch down below and hollar when clutch release begins because it's really difficult to tell from just pedal feel.

If all that is done and you're still not happy with pedal height, you need to probably order the pedal height adjustment kit from MM.

Hope this helps.

Trudat... You have the same system that I do. I'm running the SN95 Cable to allow for extra routing.

The way I have mine setup is that the "up" position puts the pedal an inch or so higher (toward the driver) than the brake petal. Clutch release starts an inch or so past the brake pedal. So I guess I have one to two inches of travel. I had to fine tune after the new install so I got two things:

Smooth shifting (meaning I got full clutch release) and no clutch slip.

If you have those two things, you're good.

What you may not be used to with that quadrant is that it is shaped for quick release. What that means is that pedal is going to be REALLY easy at the top and more firm at the bottom. You actually need two people to ensure correct release... you need somone to watch down below and hollar when clutch release begins because it's really difficult to tell from just pedal feel.

If all that is done and you're still not happy with pedal height, you need to probably order the pedal height adjustment kit from MM.

Hope this helps.

On the quick test drive last night there was no clutch slip and it shifted fine so there should be full release, I'm going to have my dad push the pedal down tomorrow while I'm underneath just to double verify. What benefits come with using a pedal height adjuster ? Is it worth while?

If this is a new kit, I'd just contact MM for their thoughts (I don't think JH posts over here anyhow).

Where is the friction point when you're engaging the clutch (pedal coming back up to take off in a gear)?

For me it wasn't worth the install. I do vaguely remember it feeling a bit odd vs. the stock quadrant when I made the switch. I don't notice now of course. Today it feels normal.

It will be worth it for you if you drive for a couple of weeks and decide that you're not getting used to it and that you don't like the pedal position.

If this is a new kit, I'd just contact MM for their thoughts (I don't think JH posts over here anyhow).

Where is the friction point when you're engaging the clutch (pedal coming back up to take off in a gear)?

I tried to cal them today but the line was disconnected ? The car starts to move when the clutch is about half way between the floor and the brake pedal.

I just called their number (it's way past business hours) and it went through to their automated menu. Seems like the line is doing ok.

Your release point is in the ballpark. Is the clutch well-worn?