Mobil 1 oil question

WhiteDevil

Feb 4, 2003
San Diego
Well for my new 347 after break in is finished i was reccomended to use Mobil 1 15w-50 oil. All i can find anywhere is Mobil 1 15w-50 extended performance. Is it the same thing and they just changed the name? anyone got any info?

• Sponsors (?)

back when i was working at the auto parts store....
we stocked the regualr mobil 1 but then we got the extended performance one and that one was a $1 more(if I remember correctly

so it may be a replacement but I'm pretty sure we had both of them on the shelf at the same time. either way its obviously the better of the two so i don't think you'll have a problem with it.

EDIT: this is from mobiloil.com

What is the difference between Mobil 1® Extended Performance and Mobil 1?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance formulas are designed specifically for today's longer service intervals and are guaranteed to protect for up to 15,000 miles or one year.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with a boosted level of protection and performance. Mobil 1 Extended Performance, with the Advanced SuperSyn System, contains 50 percent more SuperSyn than Mobil 1. (Updated March 2006)

In reality, it is just a replacement

5K - Regular Dino oil
10K - Semi Synthetic
15K - Full Synthetic

Don't know why they switched marketing, but whatever.

I see the edit above. I think it is all a ploy. I think the oil companies told everyone 3K to sell more oil. Now that we are starting to run out at an excelerated rate, they just can't come out and say they lied. They have to gradually increase the number of miles. I do 5K on my wifes Focus before a change, and the Mobile 1 still comes out relativaly clean. Just my opinion.

I've always used Mobile 1 10w30. I called into mobile 1 once and talked to one of their reps. He said that the regular 10w30 was good to at least 7500 miles. This was a couple years ago that I called, so maybe it isn't just a ploy. But who really knows.

Agreed. The basestocks have gotten so much better in recent years (as well as metallurgy and machining tolerances in engines) that an extended OCI even on a Gp II oil is possible. And for any Gp III, III+ or PAO basestock, it's easy.

A UOA is a great way to see how long one can run a given oil in an engine, and the knowledge pays for the test (about 20 bucks, IIRC).

HISSIN50 said:
Agreed. The basestocks have gotten so much better in recent years (as well as metallurgy and machining tolerances in engines) that an extended OCI even on a Gp II oil is possible. And for any Gp III, III+ or PAO basestock, it's easy.

A UOA is a great way to see how long one can run a given oil in an engine, and the knowledge pays for the test (about 20 bucks, IIRC).

:eek:

pleasehelp said:

I think we're on the same page....

HISSIN50 said:

A UOA is a great way to see how long one can run a given oil in an engine, and the knowledge pays for the test (about 20 bucks, IIRC
).

At that point it was pretty much this View attachment 453741 till the end....

then i thought OH! he's talking about getting the oil tested! lol:rlaugh: