Money order was lost and found

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Hey guys,

Me again. I know a lot of you do a ton of parts shipping and I could use some advice.
I had a USPS money order (sent certified) get lost at the PO that I sent it from (they scanned it in and that was as far is the piece of mail went)!

Rather than wait 60 days for a reissue, I sent another (relatively low buck item) MO to the dude. The second MO arrived and he sent the item - great transaction.

Fast forward to now. I was about to go down to the PO to fill out paperwork to get my first money order's money back (it's been ~ 2 months and one week since I sent it). Low and behold the dude got the first one in the mail today (only took 70-something days to arrive. :rlaugh: ).

He said he could send it back or shred it. What is the easiest way to pursue this?

Lemme know if ya need more specifics - I suck at this crap. I dont know if he sends it back if I have issues because his name is on it. Like does he have to do some paperwork or something? This transaction was a PITA for him and he probably doesnt want to do more than he has to.

Thanks for any thoughts!

• Sponsors (?)

For a low buck item how cost effective would it be to file a claim for a refund? I've seen charges from $3-13.

If the guy is trustworthy the easiest way without having to accrue any more unecessary fees would be to have him cash the MO and send you back the money. Sucks you have to buy two MOs. Just brainstorming.

Have him send it back to you. Just go to the PO and sign it and cash it. I've done this before but under different circumstances. The clerk said all I need to do is sign it and ta-da.

Cool, thanks to both of you :nice: (FWIW, it was a 65 dollar MO). I've seen some of you guys mention MO'ing like 1-2 grand for blowers and such, so 65 bucks seemed relatively low-buck (not to me though).

Dave, I thought that getting him to send it back might be easiest since it shows the PO that there's nothing hinky going on. I just wasnt sure about cashing it back out, etc. Sounds like no problemo. :nice:

Saleen, I would do that, but after all the BS I went through, I am leary of meaningful mail getting lost (if this MO gets lost again, I dont care. If a check from this guy gets lost, Pandora's box is open again).

I was irritated - I want the PO to refund my MO costs and certified-mail costs too (yeah right. :rlaugh: ). I never should have had to pay those costs twice if they hadnt lost the MO in the first place.

Thanks again. Mucho appreciated. :hail2:

mansonozz said:
Hey, I get pissed over 10 bucks so you can imagine how I felt a couple years ago w/$1400 :mad:
:eek:

I don't even wanna know. I'd lose it if something like that happened. :uzi:

I hope you were able to recoup some/all of the money and/or product (or you have a jar with a couple of testes sitting on your desk). :D

RS200 said:
Anyone in Indiana want to pick up a set of Twisted Wedges that haven't been shipped since March? Piece of **** still has my $1050.

88droptop (i think that's his screen name now) is in IN. I started a thread about being ripped off and people chimed in from there. Try the regional forum for locals. good luck :(

Rick 91GT said:
Send it back Fed-Ex...lol

I've had issue with the USPS with MO and some packages to Canada so I use Fed-Ex and UPS near exclusively now.
Absolutely right. :nice:

The Post Office was designed to handle letters. They do packages as an afterthought. Fed-Ex and UPS were designed to do packages and important business documents from their beginings. Their tracking and delivery systems are top notch stuff.

So you guys get USPS money orders and send them via Fed Ex?

I always figured a USPS MO and sending it USPS certified was pretty decent. That way it's all 'in-house' so there's less finger pointing or excuses if one needs to recoup MO costs.

I'll look into another shipper next time around (normally I'm too lazy to buy from non-Paypal users, but sometimes I cave or really need something).

Thanks again. :nice:

HISSIN50 said:
I'll look into another shipper next time around (normally I'm too lazy to buy from non-Paypal users, but sometimes I cave or really need something).
I am the same. If I really want something I will cave and buy it. I just had a friend pick up brand new 2003 mustang seats for me in Ohio (live in az). Had to have them and they were only $100 cloth and power d/s.

I would call your PO. Sometimes as, long as you are the person who sent it, you can just cash it out. At any rate I would just have him send it back and handle it from your end. Seems if this guy is decent he shouldn't have any more of a headache with the issue. If it were me I would just send you a check back and cash the send MO.

RS200 said:
Anyone in Indiana want to pick up a set of Twisted Wedges that haven't been shipped since March? Piece of **** still has my $1050.

Im in Indiana. Where abouts is this guy? I am on vacation all week. Pretty far from me. Sorry.