Mr. Gasket thermostats

wht87gt

Mar 16, 2003
Oxford, MA
Have any of you guys had problems with the Mr Gasket thermostats? I've had two of them go bad on me in the past 5 months, the second one failed today. So I want to replace it before the snow starts flying so I can run it once in a while during the winter. What other t-stats do you guys suggest using? I was looking at the EMP stewart ones that Summit sells, anybody using one of these? Or should I just go with a stock replacement from Autozone?

• Sponsors (?)

Have any of you guys had problems with the Mr Gasket thermostats? I've had two of them go bad on me in the past 5 months, the second one failed today. So I want to replace it before the snow starts flying so I can run it once in a while during the winter. What other t-stats do you guys suggest using? I was looking at the EMP stewart ones that Summit sells, anybody using one of these? Or should I just go with a stock replacement from Autozone?

My Mr. Gasket has been working great for something like 3 years now. How exactly are they failing? Do you have a lot of corrosion in your coolant system?

Edit: What temp are you using?

I'm running a 180* stat. I just got the motor back together in the begining of the summer so it's all new (radiator, water pump, hoses, coolant/water mixture, etc.). There's no corrosion that I can see. Both thermostats just stopped opening, they failed in a closed position. I was reading in another forum that some people where having issues with them failing all together or not opening at the right time. There was also discussion as to whether or not Mr. Gasket has been using Chinese made t-stats recently. :shrug:

I've been reading the same things as ^^.

My Mr G's are older so I haven't seen what folks are talking about.

I kinda' wonder how many of the performance stats come from the same manufacturer.....

I've been reading the same things as ^^.

My Mr T's are older so I haven't seen what folks are talking about.

I kinda' wonder how many of the performance stats come from the same manufacturer.....

I've been looking on Summits website and the Mr. Gasket, EMP Stewart, and Milodon all look the identical. I'm wondering if I should just try using an Autozone stock replacement.

I've been looking on Summits website and the Mr. Gasket, EMP Stewart, and Milodon all look the identical. I'm wondering if I should just try using an Autozone stock replacement.

Its the kind of component that can't really vary much from competitors products. Its like a ring gear-no matter who makes it, they all kind of look the same. I am curious to find out more about this Mr. Gasket issue though...