Mufflers

• Sponsors (?)

I have 2.5" pipes with an x pipe all the way out of the rear of a 66. A drive from Sacramento to Willows convinced me to change the Magnaflows to Dynomax Super Turbos due to the drone.

The Super Turbos sound like the Magnaflows. Just quieter and less drone.

I have Super 40 Flowmasters on my 65 Fastback with 2 1/2 H pipe, and I love the sound. I have driven the car from Pennsylvania to Utah to California and have no problems with drone.

I also have super 40's on my 65 K code and also love the overall sound. If your cruising rpm's are high enough (my car cruises around 2,800 to 3,000 rpm) there is no drone. I also have had them on my 5.0 for years which does have some cruising drone but for some reason I actually kind of like it!

I can tell u what NOT to buy...I purchased summits 2.5" mandrel exhaust for my 67 with turbo mufflers (IMCO's). It was truly a bargain at 200 bucks, and I have the facilities to install this (have done exhausts before on my truck and camaro in a matter of a couple of hours) Nothing in this kit was made for a mustang, its like a universal kit. The mufflers had to be changed and the pipes from the manifold had to be bent slightly and the tailpipes had to be bent slightly over the axle. Anyway, ended up costing me 200 bucks to get installed because the exhaust shop had to modify it so much, still I understand 400 isnt bad for a tru dual mandrel bent, but I would have spent the money on a truly bolt in kit from a more reputable name If i had to do it over again.

IMO- the question about what mufflers is worse then the question of edelbrock or holley. :lol:

That being said here is my experience. I had flowmaster 40's and really loved them and really miss them. I now have magnaflows (because I bought their whole 2.5" kit to upgrade my 2.25" system) and I am unimpressed by them.

I had no drone with the Flow's and I have none now with the Magnaflows. The Mag's are significantly quieter at idle and cruise and make the car sound much tamer then it is. Under full throttle is sounds good, but not mean like the Flows did.

So if (and when) I buy new mufflers, I would buy CORSA Red or Black series mufflers. Every car I have heard with them sounds great.

The single best thing you can do is go to a cruise night and listen to cars coming in and out and learning what sound you like best.

Good luck!

How are you guys saying there is no drone with the Flows? For the longest time, all I read on any of these forums was how Flows drone and I agree entirely. If they don't drone, they produce excessive interior noise.

I had a flowmaster system on my 87 z28, it was a single 3" into one muffler with dual 3" outlets, (you can't true dual a 3rd gen camaro in a reasonable manner) and the muffler on those cars is behind the rear diff. I dont know if that made any difference, but it did not drone at all, the car sounded mean as heck...of course a nice choppy cam didn't hurt things, and on the inside it was quiet enough. It was still a loud exhaust tho, I didn't want anything that loud on my mustang, hence the imco's, which don't sound bad, but I will probably end up changing them one day, they just dont sound "right"

How are you guys saying there is no drone with the Flows? For the longest time, all I read on any of these forums was how Flows drone and I agree entirely. If they don't drone, they produce excessive interior noise.

Flows's are louder in the interior yes, but drone is a certain tone that gets emitted, its not 'noise' or 'volume', and it is caused by more then just the mufflers (although they certainly play a big role), everything from the engine, came, headers, and pipes are going to effect that. I don't think a lot of people get the difference between drone and interior noise.

every car is different and every ear is different.

Flows's are louder in the interior yes, but drone is a certain tone that gets emitted, its not 'noise' or 'volume', and it is caused by more then just the mufflers (although they certainly play a big role), everything from the engine, came, headers, and pipes are going to effect that. I don't think a lot of people get the difference between drone and interior noise.

every car is different and every ear is different.

All I know is that almost everyone that rode in my Mustang when it had Flows on it couldn't stand it after about 10-15 minutes, especially on the highway. Also everyone likes the new mufflers alot better both inside and outside sound.

I think you may be right that sometimes people confuse the two, but I know what drone is and thats what they did in my car, and my F150. Almost any performance exhaust will have interior noise. My car still has that. I actually like that within reason. I like to be able to talk inside the car with out yelling and hear the radio. I couldn't really do either with the Flows.