Mufflers

BDT 1967

Jan 31, 2006
Wichita KS
So, I've been getting the itch to install some new mufflers on my stang. I have a 302, with Hooker long tube headers, going into 2.5 inch aluminum exhaust, the problem is I have that paired to a set of Amco mufflers. :notnice: It sounds ok, but I know it can sound a lot better. I was looking at some Flowmaster 40's but that might be a little extreme for a street car. What do yall recommend?

Thanks
Andy

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 302 with 2.5 inch X pipe from Pypes Performance then into Flowmaster (the original style, the loud 40 series if I remember correctly) and they are dumped right after the muffler just passed the rear seat.

There is a little drone at 1000-1500 rpms but outside there is no problems and I love the sound of them.

If you dont want to that loud, try some Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. I had those on before the flows, and they sound the same except much quieter. They have a very nice deep rumble to them at idle.

Everyone here seems to love Magnaflows.. I know sound is subjective but every car I have heard with magnaflows really did not sound good in my opinion.

I would go with the Dynomax Super turbos unless you want it a little louder.

I'm not sure how relevent this will be but my friend at work just put Flowmasters on his newer 2000 something Mustang and he or his wife didn't like the loud sound, but having spent the money already he decided to have a muffler shop put in some baffles into the exhaust pipe to quiet things down while keeping the Flowmasters and now he loves the new sound and the wife approves, so just a thought

My vote goes for Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow. The Magnaflow will probably sound a little milder than the Ultraflo. I have the Dynomax Ultraflo now and love them.

I had Flowmaster before and I will never do that again. They sound hollow like a tin can and drone way too much.

There is a youtube link in my signature and a couple short videos.

I have heard EP429's exhaust and it sounds really good too.

Everyone I know of who liked flowmasters liked Magnaflows better. FMs are chambered and have a tinny sound where the magnaflows are glasspacked. Short version, most any glass packed muffler will sound better than chambered - the packing cancels out the higher pitches that sound tinny.

The cool thing about Magnaflow is that even though they are done with packing it is 2 different stainless steel type materials and has no fiberglass. My Dynomax Ultraflo mufflers do have fiberglass and I like the way they sound, since its a little more old school.

I have Magnaflow on my 95 F150 and really like it too.

LoL well now I am starting to think I should save my money and just buy a new stainless steel exhaust for the car, if your going to do something may as well go all the way. This is the kit I am leaning to
Magnaflow 15816 Magnaflow Performance Cross Member-back Exhaust Systems
I have a Magnaflow on my F150 and it sounds bad a$$. But then again it cost 2 times as much as the Dyno Max kit. But the DynoMax kit is not stainless
Dynomax 89025 Thrush Header Back Exhaust Systems

I used the equivalent to that on my 65. Outstanding!

LoL well now I am starting to think I should save my money and just buy a new stainless steel exhaust for the car, if your going to do something may as well go all the way. This is the kit I am leaning to
Magnaflow 15816 Magnaflow Performance Cross Member-back Exhaust Systems
I have a Magnaflow on my F150 and it sounds bad a$$. But then again it cost 2 times as much as the Dyno Max kit. But the DynoMax kit is not stainless
Dynomax 89025 Thrush Header Back Exhaust Systems

I'm not much of a fan of prefab kits. Most I have dealt with or seen do not fit all that well. Also I would much rather have an H pipe than an X pipe. The H pipe is deeper and more muscle car sounding and the X pipe is too exotic sounding. I would just have a good exhaust shop make the pipes. If the pipes you have are still in good shape, I wouldn't change them out.

I have to call BS on that. My friend has the 50 series Blowmaster mufflers on his 70 Mustang and they drone on the highway around 2K rpm at 70. They may not be as bad as the regular ones but they still are similar enough. Besides with all that funky baffling in there, I don't see how the 50 series can flow well at all.

I have to call BS on that. My friend has the 50 series Blowmaster mufflers on his 70 Mustang and they drone on the highway around 2K rpm at 70. They may not be as bad as the regular ones but they still are similar enough. Besides with all that funky baffling in there, I don't see how the 50 series can flow well at all.

I have the 40's and have it dumped straight out the muffler.. No drone on mine.