mulling idea of change...

blksn955.o

Founding Member
Mar 15, 2002
st.louis mo 314
I have been thinking about changing the setup around.

Sell my n2o setup that I have not used in years but on and tested in working order (afraid to break the factory t5 right now). Bottle has been in the spare bedroom for 6yrs.

My n2o setup is a compucar wet kit including compucar bottle, noid, nozzle with 100,125, and 175 jets. N.O.S fogger nozzle with 150 jets. MSD window switch, and N.O.S. bottle warmer.

I would use the funds from sale of the n2o kit towards a turbo setup (not expecting to cover all...maybe $250-300). I would probably buy a hotside setup or maybe a hotside and intercooler. My little brother who is a certified welder owes me some money so I could probably have him fab up (ie weld what I cut/mock up) a cold side in exchange for some of the money owed. It would be a small turbo 57-64 at most setup. 5800-6000 max rpm, toy...if the T5 breaks so be it. Been looking at decent hotside setups for around 600-800 used but in good condition. Would like to stay away from a on3 setup but would not count them out either...maybe plan for an upgraded turbo down the line. If I got a on3 I might swap out from rubber pieces to better clamps (via brother welding ends were/if needed). Car currently has no A/C but that will probably change as when I install a front mount I would replace the busted condenser while in there.

Problem is I would only be able to probably run 8lbs of boost...maybe 10 I am thinking this is a big maybe. I have iron GT40 heads (smoothed chambers) and 10.3:1 to 10.6:1 depending on some production variances (one extreme to the other).

I would be happy with the constant power if I could end up with 400-ish to the rears and no major fuel upgrades beyond 42# injectors and maybe an LMAF from my 98GT 80mm unit. I have an intank 190 and could see putting an in-line or swapping the intake to a 255.

My major hesitation is n/a I have the tune down fairly well but with the n2o just sitting there not being used I might as well not have it. However, it is nice to know I can toss a bottle in and have 150 (jets in now) with a flip of a switch when/if I want it.

Obviously, if the bottle has been sitting for 6yrs out of the car refills are not a issue:rlaugh:...to that end its more "leaving on the table". Its just for all the work/tuning I will gain a swoosh and always there power...but will probably be about were I am now power wise if I used the n2o I already have.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't see the point. You are afraid to run the N2O for fear of breaking the transmission, so sell it, and spend a lot more money for a turbo system that is going to make more power and definately break the transmission. Why not spend the money on a better transmission.

Kurt

I have beat on mine...launching on a 125 shot at the track. Powershifting the thing for years, driving on DR also.

As much as I would like a turbo...every time I think I really want one...I think about all the work to actually get there when I have the power right now with the bottle.

But it has sat for a 2years so downtime is nothing...then the wife is even talking about maybe wanting it (would convert to a auto, probably 4r70 guts in an AODE). I would get a used vett most likely if a trade took place.

You've got too many different directions going, based on what you've said above. In my experience, when I'm doing that, I'm more restless than anything. I force myself to wait a set period of time (couple of weeks, a month...) before I even think about it anymore. Keeps me from making rushed decisions based on emotion.

FWIW.

You've got too many different directions going, based on what you've said above. In my experience, when I'm doing that, I'm more restless than anything. I force myself to wait a set period of time (couple of weeks, a month...) before I even think about it anymore. Keeps me from making rushed decisions based on emotion.

FWIW.

yeah, kinda at a crossroads/restless.

Probably the best advise.

I can tell you don't want the nitrous, so I say sell it now. Why would you not want full power EVERY time you drive your car. If its a toy like you said why would you not want the power ALLLLLL the time?

You could do what I did which was find a good deal on just a turbo and then you'll be obligated to start buying everything else to get it on the car haha. Maybe your bro can help you with a hotside to get the cost down too and get the fitment etc exactly like you want it.

As for the tranny, you could just run a light clutch and keep the boost down a bit until you get something better a year or two down the road. I used my T5 with a promotion super king cobra clutch for 1.5 years before it broke and that was at around 15 psi.

Also, why is your compression that high? Are your head milled? I didn't think GT40s raised compression that much if at all, but I really don't know either I guess. I have GT40Ps which I know raise it a little.