Progress Thread My 89 Lx Gets The Trickflow Top End Treatment Etc....etc.

Probably a mixture of both. The first time I did an intake install...did not go well. :)

Interestingly enough, I'm gathering parts for my own H/C/I install and somewhat looking forward to it.
Build threads are what eventually got me interested in a top end rebuild and not just the usual repairs. I hope I can add something in this thread that helps somebody out who is contemplating the same.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

After a broken socket extension and a collector stud that finally broke, the damn things came off. This is where working in a single car garage, on the floor with a jack and jack stands is friggin torture. I hate you guys with lifts......

20160708_130257.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
After a broken socket extension and a collector stud that finally broke, the damn things came off. This is where working in a single car garage, on the floor with a jack and jack stands is friggin torture. I hate you guys with lifts......
20160708_130257.jpg

Wait you have a garage......:oops:, I have a sand pit with a metal plate I have to slide to jack on, which is sketchy at best. What headers did you get?

Wait you have a garage......:oops:, I have a sand pit with a metal plate I have to slide to jack on, which is sketchy at best. What headers did you get?
Alright alright, you win, I guess no matter how bad it seems it could be worse..haha. I purchased the ceramic coated BBK unequal shorties. I know long tube have an advantage but I'm not willing to make them fit ( maybe 20 years ago) it's not a track car its just for kicks.

Managed to wrestle off these friggin hernia makers, smog tube bolts were a pain in the ass , every head bolt came out without a problem except one, the stud holding the fuel line bracket at the front bottom of passenger side felt like it was gonna snap, so I hosed it down with PB Blaster a few times while I turned it , then stop and hose it down again and then got it out.

20160708_172102.jpg

Last edited:
Well just the cam and timing chain to go, and clean off the old gaskets and crap. I'm now unfortunately at the point where my back is starting to really hate this.....

20160708_200100-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hey, Joe.. A buddy of mine just turned me onto this cool thing called a topside creeper for working on cars without the back ache. I'm thinking there will be one in my future. These collapse down to work on cars, and shorter ones are out there.
image.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Wow, that would work great for my truck, not sure about the car and the space in the garage,, but I wonder the weight capacity ? I'm sort of a big guy.....
20160704_121236-1.jpg

Well like I said, they do make shorter ones for cars. Says they are rated for 400 lbs. google traxion topside creeper.

image.png

Reactions: 2 users
Well like I said, they do make shorter ones for cars. Says they are rated for 400 lbs. google traxion topside creeper.

image.png

That looks like a 2 evening in the garage project.
However, I don't have a helper nearly as nice looking as the one in the picture...

Use 2x2's, some 1/2" plywood, wood glue, and some light duty coasters mounted on springs so that they retract when you stand on the gizmo.

Reactions: 1 user

That looks like a 2 evening in the garage project.
However, I don't have a helper nearly as nice looking as the one in the picture...

Use 2x2's, some 1/2" plywood, wood glue, and some light duty coasters mounted on springs so that they retract when you stand on the gizmo.

Yessir. If you do a search, there are a lot of photos of homemade ones out there.