My conscience is bothering me.

LaserSVT

Got FB banned again for saying nards
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
My good friend of many years died a couple months ago and left me his 93 Notch. I have worked on this car with him for almost 12 years and can tell you it is perfect. Has everything, a Man-o-War 347 with forged internals and high compression (we built it for N/A), AFR 185 ported and polished heads, Edlebroc RPM II plenum, Viper spec T-56, full MM suspension except 3-link,5-lug conversion with Cobra R brakes. I have always loved this car and except for his son I was the only other person to be trusted with it. The problem is I dont know why he left it to me and not his son. The wife says the boy was sad he did not get it but was glad it went to me. I know Tony and his son got along great and the boy is a senior at UCLA. It feels like a faimly heirloom b/c he had the car since new. As much as I will cherish the car forever I feel compelled to give it to his son.

Am I being stupid and just keep the car, or should I give it to his son. I know he cant street drive it in cali B/C it has no smog pump or cats. I wish I knew why he did not leave it to the boy:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

hold onto it until the son finishes college then decide...store it somewhere

I say do this and then until that time see how the boy acts about it. If he is respectful of knowing the choice then maybe he might be ready but if he acts like a little kid about then you will know your answer.

To me i feel that if the car was ment to be raced and he wanted it to be raced. Then I think you should live out the purpose of why the car was built. Im sorry about your loss btw. If i were to pass after building a car with a close friend with the intent of racing i would want the hard work and effort put to good use also while seeing my friend drive it the way it was built. If i affended anyone with what i have said i am sorry. This is just my .02 cents

You really should keep it. It's very common to question inheritance issues like this, but it's important to note that you can't ask your friend about this now, so all you can do is follow his wishes. Yet this doesn't mean you can't go and meet up w/ the son at a track (either Cali or TX) and both have fun with it in honor of his father. Just in a way let the son know that you know it means something to him too

The car was built to race on the SCCA track we had on Maui, first it was built to drag then the track opened and we changed directions. The car handles like a slot car! He removed the A/C and it was special ordered with no power options except brakes and steering. Most of the sound deadning is gone too. It is legal and was a blast on the road, but it handles, rides and sounds like a mildly tuned down race car just barley legal for the streets. I think it only weighs 2850 lbs. It is in perfect condition and can very easily be a show car, hell it has less than 38k on it. I kinda like the idea of waiting till DJ (Tony's boy) graduates and give it to him. I have known this kid since he was 8 and he was always a kind and resectful person and very intelligent. He was just like his pop :( I have just talked to him 20 min ago and he is very happy I got the car, he thought his uncle would end up with it and we all know it would of been sold or wrecked. He said since I will have it, it will still be in the family :) That really touched me.

he left it to you for a reason just remember that.. even though you feel guilty about it theres a reason he didn't want his son to have it.. just do with the car as he would wanted you to do..also im very sorry to hear about your friend passing away.. ive been there and its hard..

-John

Well, that kind of response from him really shows that he cares about it and will be responsible, its just your decision if he's ready or not. I think the reason why his father gave it to you because he knew that in your care, it would be taken care of but now since the son is growing up, it would be a wise choice to pass it down to him.

Yeah I like that idea, he graduates june next year so that would give me some time with it and DJ has a killer grad present! Thanks!

if it is as fast as it sounds, thats why it was handed to you, he wanted to keep his son safe...id reconsider it when he graduates, maybe for a graduation present

That's a pretty good idea! As long as he is responsible, I would agree with giving it to him for graduation. Hell, he may even want you to help him with it. Weekends at the track, etc. That would make the whole thing more meaningful IMO.

Well, that kind of response from him really shows that he cares about it and will be responsible, its just your decision if he's ready or not. I think the reason why his father gave it to you because he knew that in your care, it would be taken care of but now since the son is growing up, it would be a wise choice to pass it down to him.

X2. Exactly what I was thinking reading this thread. Sorry for your loss.

here's a thought...

maybe he passed it on to you because you are in a better position to take care of it?...

not a lot of college students (or recent college grads) are in a position to deal with a barley streetable second car...it doesn't sound like the kind of car you can leave on the street, or in an apartment complex parking lot

I'd wait until the son has a place to keep the car before thinking about passing it on to him

hold on to it until his son graduates, then give it to him as a gift

That's an excellent idea.

But if, for whatever reason he doesn't succeed in school/life, don't feel bad about keeping it. Another perspective would be that your friend respected you and felt like the car could not go to anyone else (for helping him out and being a good friend). That's a different bond than a father/son bond ya know?

Whatever the case, RIP to your friend.