my goal is 12 second quarter mile time slip

MarcMonteverde

Sep 4, 2006
S@c-ToWn
i have a 1988 notchback coupe with the 302 & 5speed most of the basic bolt on's ect.

cobra intake gasket match porting
24injec/fuel reg/ 190lbs pump/air intake 70mm maf
no ac/ no smog/electric fan /65mmTB
long tube headers/hpipe no cats/ 2cham flows
full msd coil/distr/wires/6a box
eibach springs& sway bars
3:73/ no back seats or molding
4 lug chrome cobra rims 17inch

my goal is to build a decent street car before summer

i have a pair of gt40 heads( not P heads) iron got em for 100 bucks
at the shop i work at the guy who does all our head work gave me a deal on a performance head job package
-5 angle valve job
-double springs or higher spring pressure not exactly sure.
-new seals and retainners
-2.02 valves i forgot the exact for both but i recall 2.02 valves
-gasket matching port/polish
-polish out combustion chambers

anything else i should have them do?

i know i need different pistons for 2.02 valves and i planned on rebuilding the
bottom end so i wanted to head toward 10.1 compression maybe with forged piston and rod combo.

the cam i have already is f cam other than that i have a stock cam.
and the rockers on the heads i belive are 1.7 - 1.6 not sure which to run

- can i make over 300hp with this combo
- want to run 12s

any input is great! need any more info and ill post it

the car has been down the track, it was completely bone stock
which ran 14.3

• Sponsors (?)

How many runs I'm this car or any other have you run before. I am only asking because I think stock will go a little faster. I think with the heads you should be in the 12's. With a couple tweaks and a few more runs it might get into 12's with the upgrades you have now.

years ago my friend had a stock motor with about the same set up but he had gt 40 intake. he had shorty headers, off road h pipe.the heads had been ported. he had 373's. he weld rims on it. it was a 12.20-12.40 car.

If you cant hit 12's on that setup you need a new driver. The only other thing I see you should add to that as a necessity is good tires, either drag radials, or get another set of wheels and throw some slicks on there.

If you ran 14.3 bone stock, hell gears alone would put you at 13.6 maybe 13.7? Plus you added probably 30-40 HP with the bolt ons and intake, thats roughly a 13.3 give or take...Your not far off!

12's, yes.
300rwhp, No.

Do not spend too much on gt40 iron heads, they are a budget mod, worthy of a valve job and some springs, but not worth porting or bigger valves.
Twised wedge heads recently sold on sale for $900 new from summit.
It's incredibly easy to rack up costs at the machine shop on a set of gt40 iron heads that total almost that when you go the valve and port route.
And no matter what you do to gt40 irons they won't be as good as box stock wedges.

If you didn't already have the machine shop work done, skip the valves.

Don't bother changing the wheels, just put good rubber on them.

Lots of guys running 12s on similar combos around here, without so much as freshening up the heads. I've seen guys pull long blocks out of Exporers and not even pull the heads off...Put a cam in it and all the other little bolt ons, and run 12s all day even with the crappy stock valve springs.