My LED taillight panels... which version should I use??

Perhaps. It may be too thick though, it's tapered back there behind the lenses. You could take those apart and get some thin plywood or something to mount the LED's to. That might be a cheap place to harvest LED's. :dunno:

i dont think it would be too thick if you went in behind the lens, and cut out the like reflective curve out of there and just glued it right to the backer of the housing? i think then it would be fine just it would suck if you had to like replace it ever. Maybe get one of the parts used to hold them onto a Jeep wrangler, and then cut the reflective housing out of the stang's lens, and used that ring to hold it in the housing. this way you could be able to remove it incase it were to go bad. Now im talking strictly the round LED lens. The square ones i dont know. Id use the square amber one for the blinker, and just a regular replacement LED bulb for the reverse lights. no reason why it wouldn't work and it would make for a nice DIY project?! i have toooo many right now to start this but im thinking about bumping it up to the top of the "things to do to the stang over the winter" list :D

• Sponsors (?)

i dont think it would be too thick if you went in behind the lens, and cut out the like reflective curve out of there and just glued it right to the backer of the housing? i think then it would be fine just it would suck if you had to like replace it ever. Maybe get one of the parts used to hold them onto a Jeep wrangler, and then cut the reflective housing out of the stang's lens, and used that ring to hold it in the housing. this way you could be able to remove it incase it were to go bad. Now im talking strictly the round LED lens. The square ones i dont know. Id use the square amber one for the blinker, and just a regular replacement LED bulb for the reverse lights. no reason why it wouldn't work and it would make for a nice DIY project?! i have toooo many right now to start this but im thinking about bumping it up to the top of the "things to do to the stang over the winter" list :D

take some measurments. I think the dimensions of those lights are listed? If it's not gonna clear the curved back of the stock taillights it very well may not clear the sheetmetal that's just behind it either. You may end up cutting more than you thought you'd gotten yourself into. Still interesting though.

Why not get some plywood or plastic and mount some led's that way. Guaranteed to fit. You can fill the whole display of the lens that way too.

Ok, I really have to see this...but the pics aren't showing up on the first page. It says its contacting your host, but it just gives up and there are no pics. :(

If its as cool as everyone says it is, I might just have to do it as well

take some measurments. I think the dimensions of those lights are listed? If it's not gonna clear the curved back of the stock taillights it very well may not clear the sheetmetal that's just behind it either. You may end up cutting more than you thought you'd gotten yourself into. Still interesting though.

Why not get some plywood or plastic and mount some led's that way. Guaranteed to fit. You can fill the whole display of the lens that way too.

that or i was thinking about drilling a TON of little holes in the curved "reflective" part under the lens and put tons of individual LED's in there. just seems like toooooo much work :rolleyes:

i just dont know how id go about wiring all that up? the square amber led light's will most likely work with the turn signal. just id have to put a resistor on there so the car didnt think it was a blown out bulb. ill mess with it when i get the time and make a new thread about it.

They look like good lights that will prolly last forever but i think the intent of the led brake lights is to have the led look all across the lense not just in one spot.

They would make great corner lights though

LB

+1 i want the LED lighting to fill as much of the lens as possible.. thats why i think im going to try the square ones from ledtrailer lights.com

They look like good lights that will prolly last forever but i think the intent of the led brake lights is to have the led look all across the lense not just in one spot.

They would make great corner lights though

LB

very true. I tried some of those LED bulbs with my cobra tails and since the LED's dont really let the light bounce off the housing (recently repainted "chrome"), ALL the light just stays in the middle.... Thats the problem with the cobra tails...there is a big black bar in the middle and you couldnt really see the brake lights come on at all during the day

talked to a freind today and he said he could make some up for me. we'll see if they will be up to par. if so I will post a write up. the cool thing is he's gonna work for beer.:D

Oh yeah, I PM'd him too....I realize its not a hard build, but I'd really like some schematics and maybe a parts list.

More than anything, I just wanna see this in action. :nonono:

i was searching around and i found this. its not for fox's tho but they are producing them for 94-present mustangs im hoping we are next!
http://www.slickcar.com/accessories/Ford_Mustang_led_tail_lights.asp

in the meantime im getting really getting excited about this project - i was going to swap my interior to black but i think im going to do this project first. im going to have a full write up and start a new thread. im going to use at first 1 per side (maybe 2) of these http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/stt/stt_M40200.htm

then use these for blinkers - http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/stt/54-1100.htm
im thinking ill need to use 2 per side with these unless i can find something better..

then these for reverse lights - http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/stt/1157.htm

EDIT: i found this site - my research continues! http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=OTHER

you could check out some places that sell LED lights for commercial trucks. I saw some really bright white led panels that a DOT plow truck was using for backup lights. They looked good and maybe around the right size to just slip in behind the mustang lenses, with a little work.
I remember reading this thread a long time ago. His pics looked real good. Just wish someone sold a drop in piece for the fox because I think they look great. That do look great on the Caddys out there.