My LS1 Notch Project (DUW)

The thing is guys, alls I have owed is fords and I will continue to do so. This is my 4th mustang. all were modified. If I wanted an f-body Car I would have bought one. I will own a vette one of these day though. But college is holding me back on a car like that.

85_SS_302_Coupe - Yes I bought the setup thats in the car because there is no same genra when it comes to mustang and f-body's/vettes in the same era. Ford downgraded to the 4.6 then added a blower that could only put up a fight but still lagged behind what is was produced againt. The Z06.

I think you guys are more pist with the fact the im not really a hardcore stang fan, but to be honest if I saw a SBC in a 67 fastback then that would be a sin. Fox body's are a dime a dozen. And the duramax desil is a good idea although it would probably look like the "Frightning' Project in MMFF or which ever magazine where they put a lightning motor in a fox. 4" cowel and the motor still didn't fit under the hood LOL. :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

Numbles said:
85_SS_302_Coupe - Yes I bought the setup thats in the car because there is no same genra when it comes to mustang and f-body's/vettes in the same era. Ford downgraded to the 4.6 then added a blower that could only put up a fight but still lagged behind what is was produced againt. The Z06.

First off, the 4.6 bests a stock 5.0 in just about every catagory that an engine could be in....tq, hp, RPMs, fuel economy....you name it, and that's coming from a 5.0 lover. The 4.6 is just better in every way. Second, the 4.6 compared to a Vette, that's like comparing apples to grenades. You're getting into a comparison where just like your coupe, price is the deciding factor. 50k for an '03 Z06 was outragious, but now this new one is ringing in around 80k....that's the price of two '03 Cobras. Dollar for dollar (as you used earlier) you could buy one Cobra and spend the other 40k on a nearly unlimited amount of mods and dollar for dollar destroy the Z06.

:shrug:

Wow, some of you are speaking in tones that resemble how a racist person would speak about the races they hate, but instead of people, we're talking cars. It's rediculous - "If you think this is a good project, you're not a true mustang fan?" (or whatever the quote was)

I love mustangs to death, and have since my dad told me stores of his '70 Boss 302 when I was only four years old. The only cars I've owned since I've started driving have been Mustangs, and they will continue to be mustangs. I appreciate every single body style, right down to the Mustang II.

But because I think this guy has an awesome, out-of-the-ordinary project car that would be a killer street monster, I'm not a true mustang fan? lmao

Some of you guys need to get your heads out of your asses. This guy put a lot of hard work into this, and I bet 3/4ths of the people bitching Numbles out couldn't even comprehend how to make a project like this work without coming here to ask tons of questions before giving up. :Zip2: I hope that someday, I have the skills and knowledge to do something like this - I'd use an LS7 or something though. ;)

Give credit when credit is due. They're just cars people, not gods. :shrug:

Why not just do a 351W or a stroker and be like 95% of all the other fox mustangs out there? Oh wait, nm, answered my own question. :)

Great job again Numbles, and get those videos up asap - have you got to drive it yet? (Sorry if you already answered it, I forgot amongst all the angry comments that have flooded your progress threat of hard work)

I will be an GLD all summer long. Although clocks will be off because this is a street car that I occasionally race for money so times on spray at least will be kept to my own knowledge.

I used 351 swap headers (long tubes) and put ls1 flanges on them. Both bolted right up to the motor and cleared the body and k-member except the drivers side with the steering shaft. I have a couple j bends on the way so Ill modify the passenger side and all will be well.

And if anyone wants to Save a notch from a person like me them shoot me a pm because I know of 3 notchback rollers local to me that are prime canidates for being swap cars.

I must say though and I dont wanna rip on other members here as I was once a newbie back in 98 when I first joined this side. Ive since had 3 differend SN's so dont let my join date fool you. But this project has taught me alot when it come to working on cars and fabricating little things to make everything work well. Some of you guys talking **** have no clue as to the involvement a project like this takes. Think before you go off on a OMG he ruined a notch spree. And yes I expected criticism but thoughtless personal attacks make some of you look like fools.

85_SS_302_Coupe - You make good points, if you would like to continue the debate pm me ill be glad to continue. Id like to keep the thread on topic. I am most definately a mustang fan, the chevy vs ford debate is preference oriented issue. But like I said Id like to keep the thread on topic.

I have a video on my phone of the car idling for about 4 seconds (damn vats) in the garage. Anyone know how to get cell phone video's uploaded on here.

I think some of you guys are taking this the wrong way...granted there are some people over reacting :rolleyes:

Basically what I was trying to say is that although I peronsally dont like the idea of a bowtie in a ford at all I think since youre gonna do it you picked the right motor to do it with. I know I dont have the knowledge or skills do undertake a project like this, and by no means do I think it is simple or pointless. The facts are that the ls1 has tons more potential in stock form thatn a 302 does, with a cam and headers you can be at 400rwhp and the things FLY up top. So i agree that it is probably a smart thing to do, but i personally dont hink a sbc belongs in a ford, to me, although you will ahve a bad ass car...its just not right. Im not trying to bash you at all im just voicing my opinion, its your car, its your money, and if youre happy than thats what counts. I think me like most others are just trying to give our opinions, although some clearly take it over the top. But either way, whethter i like it or not its an interesting project and i wish you the best of luck with it :nice:

gotta say nice job, if i had my choice of any newer small block that is cheap and very high quality it would definitely be the LS1, best small block, hands down. As for chevy big blocks, well they're just big hunks of crap.

Still looking for some kind of chevy, or a miata to throw my old modded 5.0 into. And someday another BBF, in a camaro just to piss people off :)

Lyncher - Perfect example of a thought out opinion. I appreciate your comments.

EDIT: Im going to shoot some video tomorrow afternoon. And a buddie of mine is going to make a buildup video. Should have it posted by mid next week.

Swarzkopf said:
It's a cool car for sure.

Still, I'd rather see Ford power in a Mustang- an 03/04 Cobra or even an N/A 32V modular under the hood would make me happier.

I would have but the red sn95 you can see the headlight in on the first page is a 32v swap car. Cant do the same swap and the car you go cruisin with.

I would have but the red sn95 you can see the headlight in on the first page is a 32v swap car. Cant do the same swap and the car you go cruisin with.

Gotcha. Is it an FI mod or an n/a mod? Either way...the DOHC 4.6 is a nice powerplant.

you got 8-10k ??? if so go for it.

No. I'd rather stick with an old fashioned pushrod small block Ford for my toy car.

the Z06 was not chevys answer to the 4v supercharger cobras.. hell its in a whole different price range.. i hate to burst anyones bubble but thats actually chevys answer to the ford GT super car.. chevys out of the game as far as ford's mustang vs chevys (insert car here) lol im not a big fan of what you did.. and i wouldn't do it ever.. but i admire the fact your taking it on..

Numbles said:
Lyncher - Perfect example of a thought out opinion. I appreciate your comments.

EDIT: Im going to shoot some video tomorrow afternoon. And a buddie of mine is going to make a buildup video. Should have it posted by mid next week.

No problem :nice:

I think it's awesome. Mix two of the best parts of american muscle. The mustangs good looks over the ugly ass camaro and the LS1 over a slower 5.0. I saw another swap like this on a fox body but that one kind of pissed me off. It was a fox with chevy emblems all over it with a LS1. Anyone have pictures of this one? Other than the emblems it was a nice car. Be happy with the car. It's always more fun when things rub others the wrong way :D