Need help with porting and polishing Cobra intake

Slow5.0

Feb 13, 2003
Portland, OR
I know I have a lot posts with " I need help " :shrug:
Here is a deal , I going to buy 94-95 Cobra upper/lower intake, and I wanna do it my self(I can save $150 for porting job), so guys how you do your ported and polished intake , how much I have to take off ,did you have any pics, what kinda tools I need, everything
I know there is a lot posts about that,but I wanna se what kinda answers you guys have here

After I done that job ,I gonna try do that again on my brothers upper intake , he have '96 Probe GT and here is pics of intake how have to be after porting/polishing

intakemanifold1.jpg

intakemanifold2.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Since you just have a bolt on 5.0, porting probably won't be worth that much.

Also, $150 is a pretty good deal if the guy knows what he is doing.

To do a decent porting job, you need an air compressor, a die grinder and a bunch of sandpaper rolls or other grinding bits. You also need a place where you can make a whole lot of noise, because the grinding and compressor can be very loud.

Also there is the risk that you could dammage the intake beyond repair. Some people know when to stop, others just blast through things untill something breaks. If you are a competent DIY kind of guy, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Seth...I just got done doing my Explorer...this also has the same GT40 lower as the Cobra....Theres really not alot to port on the lower....if you look down all your runners you wanna see a straight shot to the head port....check all the ports and you'll see maybe 2 ports that the "curve" in the runner may be a restriction...just lightly grind the sides to "lessen" that curve you see....like i say, Tmoss did my Ex lower and barely touched but a couple runners....

the upper will support your mods no problem....only thing i did was to color around the u/l ports...lay your gasket on there lining up you bolt holes...tape the gasket in place if need be, take a fine point and "scribe a mark around the gasket..remove it...then grind to your "scribe" line to gasket match it....very simple....

Port your TB opening to if its not a clean shot thru...

if you want you can take some sanding rolls and clean up the "casted" finish some....do that all around....dont go crazy removing material...just smoothen them up some...go to standardabrasives.com check out there kit for like 26.00...thats all youe need to clean it up some....
air tools are a must far as im concerned....

the above is prolly not worth alot, other than the fun of doing it....makes for a smoother airflow i would guess....i do this to all my intake ports...send me a pm and i can forward tons of pics on porting...

polishing...screw that..i ain't got the patience for that... :D

Seth5.0 said:
I know I have a lot posts with " I need help " :shrug:
Here is a deal , I going to buy 94-95 Cobra upper/lower intake, and I wanna do it my self(I can save $150 for porting job), so guys how you do your ported and polished intake , how much I have to take off ,did you have any pics, what kinda tools I need, everything
I know there is a lot posts about that,but I wanna se what kinda answers you guys have here

After I done that job ,I gonna try do that again on my brothers upper intake , he have '96 Probe GT and here is pics of his intake
dizzy.jpg

What is that intake?
RC

VibrantRedGT said:
You quoted him but didn't read the last sentence?

I saw that, I just meant "what is that intake" meaning I have not seen it before, and it just looks strange seeing it on this board.

I became dizzy after reading the opening paragraph, and I had to go take some Dramamine!

Good luck Seth
RC

What you guys thin about this Cobra intake's http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&category=36474&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&category=36474&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36474&item=2456981513

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36474&item=2457228662

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42604&item=2456806067

are this Intake's cheap or what and can I use this spacer for Cobra ,Explorer and GT40 intake and which one is better

yellow5.0cobra said:
Also why are you so intrigued by the Cobra Intake?
There are PLENTY of aftermarket intakes that are much better than the COBRA. And not THAT expensive(add $90 for t/b elbow)

Pete

Because if I put aftermatket intake , I have to take out strut brace and mey be cowl hood

I don't know of too many aftermarket intakes that won't clear your stock hood (assuming you aren't using a spacer). As far as the strut tower brace, plenty of guys run without one. I think the edelbrock is the concensus intake around here.

even with the cobra you will still need to replace or remove the strut tower brace it won't clear the cobra they did not come with one .i had a cobra on my car before the trick flow and i really liked it but it did not match up to my new heads as well as the trick flow lower does .