New Engine & Tranny Installed! Pics! (D.U.W.)

SeventyMach1

Keep it lubed .... keep it straight .... and keep
Mar 30, 2005
North Carolina
Well ... kinda, lol. Made you look. Forgot those of you who were into nitro stuff ... but those of you who are can relate. This is truely a VERY fun hobby. Just like the Stang ... only on a smaller scale, lol.

On a MAXX 2.5 truck. I just installed a new O.S. .18TM engine. Traxxas 3.3 transmission (tired of rebuilding the 2.5 tranny). Removed Opti-Drive system. 3.3 disc brakes. TRX A/M header. Tuned pipe. Hi-Tech steering servo (metal gears). New 3.3 throttle linkages. New fuel lines. I removed my aftermarket on-board temp. gauge .... and picked up an infared temp. gun for more accurate readings. Still using stock clutch and flywheel.

Also gonna pick up a forward-only conversion. And upgrade the driveshafts using a couple modified REVO halfshafts. This thing is gonna scream!!!

Going to spend a couple hours tomorrow breaking the engine in and tweaking the carburetor. Working on an F-250 body at the moment. Here are some current progress pics ...

Nitro1.jpg

Nitro2.jpg

Nitro3.jpg

Nitro4.jpg

Nitro6.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Truck. They can go just as fast as most cars. Except they can do it on OR off road.

I'm gonna take this thing down to the 1/8th mile track eventually and see what it will do. 60' time will be insane!

Good lord, thats awsome stuff!
I don't know much about them, but I thought the nitro cars didn't use a spark plug, but rather a glow plug :shrug: Looks like there is a sp wire going to it on yours...
But yeah, I bet that thing goes like snot

You are correct Stephane! Kinda like a diesel.

The wire you are seeing is for the Traxxas EZ Start system (electric starter). It sends a charge to the glow plug to heat it up for starting.

Most others you see do not have this. Most are pull start and you have to use a hand held ignitor for starting.

I finally got this beast broken in and running. OMG this thing screams. I can't keep the front wheels on the ground! I'm gonna relocate some stuff on the truck to try to keep it down.

Over the last several days I installed a forward-only kit, upgraded driveshafts, failsafe, pull start conversion, and new A-arms.

I need to make a video for you guys to check out. This thing is FUN.

1.6HP @ 29,000 rpm's. Oh, and yes ... it turns alot higher than that, too!

That's an awesome setup you got there. :nice:

I just finished up my HPI Savage and my Ofna 1/8th scale buggy.
The savage got a 1.5" chassis extension and a Mach 26 engine (2.75hp at 30k rpms), Beadlock wheels, and a 3 speed tranny.

The buggy got a ported and polished picco .12 engine. This thing is faster than my savage...lol

Now i'm looking into building a tube chassis rock crawler with a 17" wheel base. That should be fun...:D

Sweet! Glad to see another hobbyist on this. I like Savage's. My brother-in-law races one. He has around $1500 in it. :eek: Do you have any pics?

Tomorrow evening I am going to be racing my brother. He has a 3.3 T-Maxx RTR. I keep telling him ... just because he has a larger engine does not mean he will beat me. I think I am going to slaughter him. I can't get mine to shift at the right RPM's ... so I just need to adjust my shift points a little.

For those of you that said you don't know much about them .... I didn't either. That's why I got one. Pretty much ... take your Mustang and crash it into a Weed Eater factory. The result will be a nitro truck/car. These things are MUCH like regular cars on a small scale.

For the guys that said they know nothing about this. "GO GET ONE":rlaugh:

These things are so much freakin fun, but also are a money pit if you don't watch yourself. I've got about $1500 into my savage. My buggy is stck except for the motor, and I just picked up a helicopter.

They can go pretty quick also. I had an HPI Super Nitro that got clocked at 67 mph by a police friend of mine. That run also made me some money in bets.:rlaugh:

Sweet! Glad to see another hobbyist on this. I like Savage's. My brother-in-law races one. He has around $1500 in it. :eek: Do you have any pics?

Tomorrow evening I am going to be racing my brother. He has a 3.3 T-Maxx RTR. I keep telling him ... just because he has a larger engine does not mean he will beat me. I think I am going to slaughter him. I can't get mine to shift at the right RPM's ... so I just need to adjust my shift points a little.

For those of you that said you don't know much about them .... I didn't either. That's why I got one. Pretty much ... take your Mustang and crash it into a Weed Eater factory. The result will be a nitro truck/car. These things are MUCH like regular cars on a small scale.

Here's some pics:

side by side comparision with a stock savage:
View attachment 373766
DSC01801.jpg

View attachment 373770
DSC01795.jpg

Buggy:

View attachment 373774
DSC01790.jpg

DSC01797.jpg

DSC01787.jpg

This is the only pic I have left of the Super Nitro:

hpisupernitro.jpg

The rest of the pics are here: Click here for pics

Attachments

• DSC01806.jpg
    DSC01806.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC01795.jpg
    DSC01795.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC01797.jpg
    DSC01797.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC01787.jpg
    DSC01787.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 78
  • hpisupernitro.jpg
    hpisupernitro.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 84
I bought a jato a few month's back, and it's soooooo fast, my little RC10 gt is no match for it, but my old t-max is still a blast to drive through everything.

Aren't these things a blast..:D I started with an HPI Nitro Rush and just kept going without a break...LOL

Anyone see the supercharger and nitrous kits for these yet??? I am almost tempted to get one for the buggy.:nice:

I had a traxxas nitro stampede. Ran it to hell and back, bought the .15 engine for it when they first came out and barely used it. Sold it for probably a quarter of what I spent.

That's the only ****ty part. If you wanna sell it all, you have to part it out to make most of your money back. If you sell it complete, your gonna loose alot of money.