New Exhaust System...

NosMe200

Aug 14, 2006
Worcester, MA
I'm planning on getting a new exhaust system for my '84 GT, headers back...Right now I'm running MAC shorties with Flowmaster Super 40's and all else stock, no cats...My car sounds mint, but its not loud enough for my likings...I was thinking about mixing and matching a bit with Hooker Super Comp longtubes, Flowtech x-pipe, and Flowmaster Super 40's with 3 inch pipes...My questions are...Will the 3 inch pipes make much of a difference in sound vs. stock pipes? Shorty headers vs. longtubes? And, will I get good flow with my mixed setup or should I just go full Flowmaster?

• Sponsors (?)

the setup sounds good but what kind of mods do you have? Unless you have lots of cubes, or have heavy mods, 3" piping will make you lose alot of velocity or "back pressure", stick with 2.5 and get different mufflers.

Long tubes will probably sound alittle deeper then shorties. The thing right now that will change your sound the most is your mufflers, headers wont make a big enough difference, so if your just doing it for sound DO NOT waste your money or time on long tubes, if your doing it for performance then go for it. The 3" exhaust is a waste, it will hurt performance and I doubt itll sound much different. You already have no cats, switching to an xpipe will just change the sound it will not make it louder, if you want it louder get different mufflers

3" will sound louder, but on a stock motor like stated above wont really help making power. If you really just want it louder it might be a way to go.

Long Tubes will actually be quiter in lower RPMs but up top will be louder. My car wasnt extremely loud (LTs, prochamber and a Mac catback) down low and cruising but above 3500 RPM it really screamed. Now with the off road X and spintechs it gets really raspy and even louder!

Personally Id say 2.5" off road H or X, and whatever catback you prefer will be loud enough for you!

even if he just wanted the sound for 3" exhaust and didnt care about performance, it would still be ALOT cheaper to weld in a new set of straight through mufflers, rather then change the whole exhaust headers to tail pipes to 3" just for a louder sound.

well, mob, i cant really tell u all my mods right down to the details, the ones i do know of are as follows, from when i bought the car...its been bored to a 306, ported and polished heads, edelbrock carb, steeda shifter, king cobra clutch, detroit locker posi rear w/ 3.55's, and then the mac shorties and flowmaster super 40's...and i was told its got a large cam, not sure of the exact model...and the thing is, i actually found a complete Flowmaster "Off-Road" system on their website that comes with all 3 inch piping...and, if anyone knows, how do the slp or spintech mufflers sound? i know their loud, but do they retain the 5.0 sound? cuz i know the slp's tend to keep that raspy camaro sound to them...

eh nice mod list but I still dont think enought to support 3", go with slp, the 5.0 sound is the engine, so yes those mufflers will retain the 5.0 sound, id go with slp, they will be LOUD and sound amazing, and theyll still have that deep 5.0 sound.

Id be leary about the mods listed by the previous owner. I had two friends that bought cars with similar mods as you... Both come to find out were just stock. Without receipts I wouldnt take the 30 over, and ported anything to heart.

That car sounds pretty good!