Electrical New Ignition Cylinder, In Positions, Won't Release Key.

JordanB21

Feb 6, 2012
Killeen, Texas
The original issue was that the ignition cylinder that the car came with had the wire cut. I had a lock smith come down and try a bunch of keys till he got it to turn and release from the lock position.

We then rotated the new one to match where the last one was removed from to click into place, and the car could now start up. But now the issue I noticed after he left is that I can't rotate the key back to the lock postion to eject or slide out the key. It's like it's stuck in postion '2' as if it were position '1' where the electronics can come on. It can turn to position '3' where the electronics come on and then finally can start aswell at position '4.'
There's just no position one, or turning the key backwards for the radio or w/e, and because of that I can't release the key.

My theory is that the old ignition cylinder might've been removed in postion '3' or so and now I can only insert it on position '3' or '2,' causing me not be able to rotate it back.

ideas please?

• Sponsors (?)

waittt. I remember now, it's on a spring, what's the use of it? I press it and the key will turn back more/release the key?
I never tried pressing it and turning the key/pulling it at the same time but I remember it.

Thanks also

Did the googling, now that I knew what to search, I can't believe that's standard. two handed key release, not that it matters, I'm more excited to be able to finally put back on the steering column shroud.
Thanks.

Nicely done pearlnotchback. :nice:

I suppose it's there to keep passengers from removing the key while driving. By the vintage of your '95 (unlike your fox obviously), it was gone.

If it bothers you, you can circumvent it.

Nicely done pearlnotchback. :nice:

I suppose it's there to keep passengers from removing the key while driving. By the vintage of your '95 (unlike your fox obviously), it was gone.

If it bothers you, you can circumvent it.
It's kind of an anti-anti-theft system. Prevents you from taking the key with you so a thief can more easily take your car :D
Oh, my good ole' 95, uncomplicated with it's big-non-drum-brakes!. I read about the fix with a tip tie, i'll let it be for now. But thanks:p

Did the googling, now that I knew what to search, I can't believe that's standard. two handed key release, not that it matters, I'm more excited to be able to finally put back on the steering column shroud.
Thanks.

Ok... I had read through this thread a couple of times and this is what I got from it. Let me know if I've missed something... :O_o:

Guy gets car
Ignition lock doesn't turn
Guy get locksmith
New ignition lock works
Guy can't get key out of ignition but doesn't think to try pushing BUG OLE BUTTON on bottom of column to release hey? :shrug:

What am I missing? If I'm not missing anything that I gotta say that this is the LULZ :rlaugh:

Glad you got it figured out though Jordan. :nice:

Close noobz:p

Guy gets car
Ignition lock sensor wire is cut, and is missing keys (Impound, the guy must've kept his keys before going to jail :( )
Guy orders new ignition cylinder
Guy calls lock smith to get the old ignition cylinder out
New ignition cylinder does everything but release the key
Guy is clueless about how to release the key
Makes a thread
Finds out there's this crazy contraption underneath the steering column cold a 'bug ole button' :O

Still can't try it till I get home tuesday, but I'm sure that's it. Glad I gave you some lulz doe noobz :p

Close noobz:p

Guy gets car
Ignition lock sensor wire is cut, and is missing keys (Impound, the guy must've kept his keys before going to jail :( )
Guy orders new ignition cylinder
Guy calls lock smith to get the old ignition cylinder out
New ignition cylinder does everything but release the key
Guy is clueless about how to release the key
Makes a thread
Finds out there's this crazy contraption underneath the steering column cold a 'bug ole button' :O

Still can't try it till I get home tuesday, but I'm sure that's it. Glad I gave you some lulz doe noobz :p

:lol: You did for sure.

This is what came to mind as I went back and read this. :D

Now watch... you'll get home and it will be a completely different problem altogether.

You guys are too much:p I've only ever driven around 6 cars, ever, the 92 being the oldest. Well a few days ago I drove a 72 mustang but that doesn't have this. So what can I say? :D
Besidesss, the problem was leaving the keys in the ignition.:p