New Tach Install

Casey4s

Sep 1, 2007
Woodbridge, VA
I found that while staging I couldn't see my factory tach because of the crappy location in the dash.

I didn't want to drill unsightly holes in my dash, and I didn't think the plastic pieces on the front of the panel would support the weight of a tach. So I fabricated a "suction cup" mount from some stuff I had laying around. This way the tach is exactly where I need it to be while at the track but I can just unplug and store it the rest of the time. It's a Sun Super tach (retro look)which may be too old school for a lot of guys but is perfect for an old fart like me, it looks just like the one I had in 1970.

Here's a few highlight pics:
X005.jpg

X009.jpg

X007.jpg

All of the install pics are here:
Tach Install pictures by Casey4s - Photobucket

• Sponsors (?)

Sweet idea!

I am a little confused (getting old I guess). I think I only saw you connect 2 wires under the hood, yet I see 4 wires from the trailer light harness that you used. Could you break down the wiring a little more? Do you have a picture of the wires on the adaptor that came with the tach? That might explain it a little more. Either that or post up the part # and I can try and find it myfelf?

Thanks!

Sweet idea!

I am a little confused (getting old I guess). I think I only saw you connect 2 wires under the hood, yet I see 4 wires from the trailer light harness that you used. Could you break down the wiring a little more? Do you have a picture of the wires on the adaptor that came with the tach? That might explain it a little more. Either that or post up the part # and I can try and find it myfelf?

Thanks!

The tach adapter is an Auto Meter 9117 (from Summit)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-9117/?rtype=10

There are 4 wires on my tach adapter, (1) ground (2 & 3) in and out of adapter from the COP wires, (4) goes into the cabin to the tach for the signal.

The back of the tach has 4 wires also (1) 12v switched, (2) 12v light, (3) the tach signal from the adapter, (4) ground.

So all 4 wires go into the plug from both ends.

I guess I didn't mention the other wires under the hood because they were pretty simple to do by the instructions. The two red signal wires were the ones that were a pain in the butt.