Nitrous

red1995gts

Dec 1, 2008
well i want to get in the 12's so i was thinking of the zex Dry nitrous kit. is there anything else i have to get. i have 24.pound injectors 190lph fuel pump. just put a old edelbrock RPM intake on. will i need a chip ? msd box? or can i just hook it up and go.? any info will help my short block is all stock with about 120k on it

• Sponsors (?)

All those extras will help, but not necessary. The NOS dry kit is much better quality, and has a better reputation. I would consider the NOS kit before you dropped money on the ZEX kit. The injectors will be fine.

Kurt

Revhead...back me up on this....installed it 11 yrs ago, haven't used it in 8 yrs

the good 'ol 5115 NOS kit uses a relay tapped into 12v power, WOT switch, fuel pressure switch and 2 solenoids.... comes with a little bracket, you can bolt the WOT (wide open throttle) switch to the throttle body, and adjust it to close at WOT. When that switch closes power goes to one of the solenoids, allowing it to open. The pressurized nitrous line then t's off to close off the return side of the fuel rail, and supply the required fuel. Pressure builds up closing a fuel pressure safety switch, allowing power to flow to the second solenoid, which opens...then allows nitrous to enter the intake tract....happens pretty quick, pretty transparent.

might sound complicated...but it is simple. I installed mine in about 2 hrs, piece of cake. No need for anything that doesn't come with the kit, it is a bolt on. Fuel pump is a good idea, gives piece of mind that you'll have plenty of fuel, and will be there when you get froggy and swap the jets for more oomph.

good luck!! Nitrous is fun stuff

Yeah, it works pretty much the way it's described above. People do have a misconception that nitrous is cheap. A good kit is going to cost good money. You can bolt on a basic 5115 kit and it will work fine, but if you really want an optimum kit, be prepared to spend some cash. You can pick up those 5115 kits for cheap all over the place I paid $150 for mine. The only downside to it is the NOS solenoids which honestly aren't the best quality. Better than ZEX, but not as good as an NX solenoid. I eventually swapped out to NX solenoids. But if you can get a NOS kit for about $200, you can buy two brand new NX solenods for it and still be at a better price than a new NOS kit. I know I have at least $1000 into my nitrous setup, but it's top of the line. I also run a Digital 6 with the retard, so it's all automated. I don't have to get out on the side of the road and adjust my timing.

are you talking about a digital 6a msd box? 1000 dollars is still alot cheaper than a supercharger. i might wait alittle longer and just do it right the first time. I just wanna get as much info as i can. So far im still liking the dry kit. Thanks for the info.

I'd personally recommend a wet kit for the sole reason that enrichment fuel is added with the nitrous, and the stock fuel system isn't required to pick up the slack. Nitrous backfires are pretty much a non-issue if you play it safe. Get the wet kit, an RPM window switch (to start the spray after 3000 rpm and shut it off before the rev limiter), and a bottle heater, those are the essentials and you can pick up other goodies as you go. That being said, if you're set on a dry kit the NOS kit is great because it will NOT activate until fuel pressure is jacked to an adequate level (there are 2 nitrous solenoids, the second won't open until a hobbs switch verifies fuel pressure), so I'd recommend that. With the NOS kit, a bottle heater isn't as essential because fuel pressure is spiked according to the incoming nitrous pressure, so you won't get bogging and a rich condition if your bottle pressure is low. Either way, a bottle heater is pretty much a must to get your kit performing right, the NOS kit just gives you more leeway. Good luck whichever way you go :nice:

I'm not going to get into the wet kit, dry kit argument again. If you want to get into that discussion, you can do a search on this website and you'll see plenty of talk about it. But the facts are, NOS designed their dry kit specifically for this car, because of the long runner intake. People don't reinvent the wheel if there isn't a problem.

Kurt