No start, no crank, no click from starter

spock2001us

Aug 23, 2005
Been posting on here for years regarding my 95 stang and thanks for all the help.

My winter car is a 93 mercury marquise.......don't know where else to go so I will post it here.

Car will not crank, no click from starter, nothing. Battery is charged. There is only a slight click that comes from somewhere around the front of the motor, but that is all. It clicks once when the key is turned, very faint, not the starter, and it does not repeat unless you turn the key again.

Never had a no crank issue with this car. Today there was about 8 inches of snow and the car started fine after sitting all night. I drove the car only about 50 feet to make room in the driveway. 2 hours later the car would not crank. The car is very snow covered and wet and I have pushed it into the garage to thaw out.

I have never run into an issue like this.

I have had a starter go bad before, on a different car, and usually the stupid thing will give a warning like a clicking sound from time to time before it actually dies....this one does nothing.

Very confused. Any help is appreciated. The 93 has a disrtibutor setup like the 96 mustang with two caps....the click i hear sounds like it comes from the vicinity.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

It started

Don't know why......car thawed out in the garage overnight. Went to start this morning at first, nothing happened, only a very faint one time tick, no clicking. Tried it again to see where the sound was coming from and suddenly there was a louder sound, like a grind sound that lasted for only a tick. Tried again and the motor cranked for the first time and started right up.

Perhaps the starter giving in?....prolly replace it soon since the motor has 180k.

Could always be a bad cell in the battery. I've had batteries go bad her in Southern California when we get a "cold snap" overnight. Obviously it's nowhere near as cold here than other states, but the relative temp difference is what counts.

A battery can report a full charge but not have enough cranking amps to turn the engine over. Just an idea.

check all your grounds. I had start issues where I would hear a click(starter solenoid) but it wouldn't crank. Ending up being a bad wire/connection from the neg battery cable to the block. Ran all new 2 ga wires and I haven't had any problems since.

Success!!

finally fixed things........ as for now anyway. After car earlier started I let it run for a bit to charge and warm things up. Turned it off, turned to restart and everything was dead again. Everything comes on like it is ready to start, but no crank.

I removed the battery cables, scrubbed the connections and used cleaner and still no crank.

Finally, what I hope is the solution...... Next I got underneath and the starter solonoid connections looked pretty salty and dirty. I used a brush on them with spray contact cleaner and things are working perfectly now. I tested it by restarting time and time again and things are working fine.

My guess is that with the salty michigan roads this winter the connections to the starter solonoid (attached to the starter) had become corroded with salt.

Cross my fingers anyway.

several days later and car starts without any issues whatsoever. Cleaning the connections to the starter was the only thing I did and everything is great now.....until the next time...LOL

Nice work. You might want to hit the connectors with a rust inhibitor at some point (something like TC-11).

Reactions: 1 user
Been posting on here for years regarding my 95 stang and thanks for all the help.

My winter car is a 93 mercury marquise.......don't know where else to go so I will post it here.

Car will not crank, no click from starter, nothing. Battery is charged. There is only a slight click that comes from somewhere around the front of the motor, but that is all. It clicks once when the key is turned, very faint, not the starter, and it does not repeat unless you turn the key again.

Never had a no crank issue with this car. Today there was about 8 inches of snow and the car started fine after sitting all night. I drove the car only about 50 feet to make room in the driveway. 2 hours later the car would not crank. The car is very snow covered and wet and I have pushed it into the garage to thaw out.

I have never run into an issue like this.

I have had a starter go bad before, on a different car, and usually the stupid thing will give a warning like a clicking sound from time to time before it actually dies....this one does nothing.

Very confused. Any help is appreciated. The 93 has a disrtibutor setup like the 96 mustang with two caps....the click i hear sounds like it comes from the vicinity.

Thanks

I had the same problem, I just jacked up the passenger side... found the start and reached above and there is a small plastic piece connector you can feel with your hand on top of the starter ... it was loose.. I pulled it and pushed it on and then it started. Was simply a loose connection....
Be sure to check all the connections starting with the battery to the cilinoiid and cilinoiid to the starter etc.