Oil For A 1992 Lx 5.0 With 79,000 Actual Miles

BiminiBlue92LX5Ohhh

Active User
Jan 27, 2018
Hey!

I have a question. I just came from the dealership and an oil change for my 1992 LX 5.0 with 79,000 actual miles on it. I had the Mobil 1 Synthetic in it, but he came back with 5W-30 instead of what I normally use, which is 10w-30. We live in Daytona Beach. He said that they recommended that 5w-30...

Now, the thing runs fantastic, no problems whatsoever... however...

At the stop light, on warm idle, the oil pressure dips far down to between 0 and 1/4 on the gauge thing...

It goes up to 1/2 and maybe a jiggle above when running it flat out...

Is that oil okay, or should I have them change it? The car is in EXCELLENT shape.

Thanks for any advice in advance!!

• Sponsors (?)

The gauge is not accurate.
10W-30 is getting harder to find.
5W is fine; My Toyota takes 0W
I've switched to 5W-30 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend.
8030006_mot_xo5w30qsp_pri_larg.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
The gauge is not accurate.
10W-30 is getting harder to find.
5W is fine; My Toyota takes 0W
I've switched to 5W-30 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend.
8030006_mot_xo5w30qsp_pri_larg.jpg

Thanks! And I just read that MOBIL 1 says 5w-30 for my 1992 LX 5.0 with 79,000 CAN be used on their website, as RECOMMENDED!! So maybe the needle dip is not any big deal!!

Also it never went completely out of the normal range...

So you like the MOTORCRAFT better?!

Last edited:
I've run 5w-30 Mobil 1 in mine for a while now. I throw Mobil 1 in everything I own these days. It's cheap enough

The only difference between 5w-30 and 10w-30 is cold flow ability. A 5 flows easier than a 10 so it's more recommended for those who live where it gets cold. Once warmed up both are rated a 30

I wouldn't sweat it

Reactions: 1 users
If you're losing oil pressure, it should not be due to the type of oil. I have lost pressure from overheating and thinning the oil to the point that it wouldn't maintain pressure. Oil change fixed that.

Another likely possibility is that the stock oil pressure gauge is not accurate.

Last, whenever oil pressure drops, the first thing I always notice is the valvetrain clatter getting louder.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're losing oil pressure, it should not be due to the type of oil. I have lost pressure from overheating and thinning the oil to the point that it wouldn't maintain pressure. Oil change fixed that.

Another likely possibility is that the stock oil pressure gauge is not accurate.

Last, whenever oil pressure drops, the first thing I always notice is the valvetrain clatter getting louder.

No, this thing has ZERO engine noise, at any time. In fact, at a stop light, it is as quiet as an electric car!!

I always run 10/40 in my fox. As long as the temps don’t drop below zero, it’s fine. And it’s got a little more substance to it, to reduce valve train noise and discourage leaks.

Reactions: 1 user