oil rings going or a simple solution here?

vladasap

Apr 26, 2006
nyc, ny
hey guys
as some of you may know i had a intake back fire a week ago. the car would crank but not turn over, so i was crankin it unitl it backfired blowing the pcv n the breathers of the car and pouring smoke out the valve covers (i know, i know its a :nono:..but i had a family emergency n i didnt care at that point)

now i had the car on the dyno today n once it got over 4500 rpm it blew a lot of smoke out the breahter holes but did not pop the breathers nor pcv out - it smelled like burnin oil n whenever i put on the heat now i smell the burning oil too....nothing out the exhaust though

could the pcv be destroyed in that backfire i had? i shook it n its rattling so thats good right?
also i keep having oil come out of the breathers no matter how i try to plug them up

now is all this blow-by normal n its just a pcv or could one of the rings or valves just taken a dump in the last weeks incident?:shrug::shrug::shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

well originally dont we have a pcv AND a vaccuum that goes from the intake tubing into the baffle on the v.cover?

so if i plug up one valve cover, have the pcv in the back and then have a brether with a vacuum to the intake - wont i replicate the original set up that we have?

PS- i did plug up the PCV yest but the car smoked even at idle, then i hooked it up with two breathers working and then it only smoked at WOT on the dyno - not when i rev it n no load weird?

well originally dont we have a pcv AND a vaccuum that goes from the intake tubing into the baffle on the v.cover?

so if i plug up one valve cover, have the pcv in the back and then have a brether with a vacuum to the intake - wont i replicate the original set up that we have?QUOTE]

The first part is correct, but you're opening the system with a breather. The factory system uses that vacuum line to help keep the emissions down. It does a good job of dumping oil mist into the intake, but it keeps from dumping it out into the atmosphere. It also keeps the possibility of unmetered air entering the intake system. If you think about the PCV opening and drawing air through the engine, with a breather it can suck in air that doesn't pass the MAF. How much that really happens is beyond me, but something to think about. :shrug:

Scott

so what do you think of my idea to "replicate" original system?
PCV hooked up with a breather that has a place for a vaccuum hook up n route it to the intake??

possibly solve my issues of pouring smoke out of these???

Yes, you can run one hose from the valve cover to a breather and still run the PCV in the back of the intake. That is how mine is setup. The amount of un-metered air that passes through the PCV valve is negligible. And yes, there is a good chance you damaged the PCV valve in the back fire.

Kurt

Eh, they are only like $2.99, I would just go ahead and replace it. If you really want to know, you can suck and blow on the end to see if the valve is closing with a good seal.

Kurt

lol what?

which part should i blow in? no, no, not what it sounds like! =)
where the hose goes or where it goes into the grommet?

please clarify and explain what i should and should see?
*ill do it just to see although ye ill replace it anyways (future reference)

let me assume that after i do plug up one cover, install new pcv and connect a vacuum from the breather to the intake, the car still smokes???
what do i do? rebuild?

PS-unrelated but - i removed all my AC components and now theres some greenish liquid very slowly leaking out of the one of the two lines in the firewall (close to where the evaporator was)
whats is that liquid? looks like coolant but doesnt smell like it.....

let me assume that after i do plug up one cover, install new pcv and connect a vacuum from the breather to the intake, the car still smokes???
what do i do? rebuild?

PS-unrelated but - i removed all my AC components and now theres some greenish liquid very slowly leaking out of the one of the two lines in the firewall (close to where the evaporator was)
whats is that liquid? looks like coolant but doesnt smell like it.....

Did you pull off the heater hoses? The two lines that run through the firewall connect to the heater core.

Pull the little PCV valve off of the hose that goes to the intake. It's the little part that goes into the grommet. You can't just plug the valve covers. They have to have some sort of breather to allow air to flow through the engine.

Kurt

well...i got to working on it today but no luck (i think)
#1 - i found that the intake is ALL OILY - just how bad is that???
should i go ahead and make a catch can or leave it as is or...what do i do with that????
is my setup listed below wrong?

#2 - i did the following - i have the pass side valve cover with a breather, the drivers side a breather thats connected to the intake and a new pcv. I still smell oil burning like a **********er. What should i do at this point??? im just so skeptical and anal about it since its oil. if it was anything else id figure out a way around it but i really dont wanna toy around with issues dealing with oil n especially oil loss.

Well if the oil has an unusually high amount of oil in it, then it is probably the PCV that has failed. I would clean out the oil in the intake as best you can. I think you are on the right track changing the PCV valve. I think you should keep the PCV valve in it's proper location in the back of the intake. Make sure when you put the PCV valve back in, that you have both the grommet that it goes into, and the little metal breather element that goes under the grommet. Then just run a breather to one of the valve covers. I think you are looking at a minor fix.

Kurt

hey revhead347
thats exactly what i did yest n i drove home n it still smelled like burning oil n there was some leaking out again

only the PCV was connected to the intake prior to yest when i did the above mentioned. So it must have been the PCV that sucked up all that oil up...how do i prevent that?? its not a little oil thats up there, its a decent amount-so much that thers a little pool on the collector part of the upper intake:notnice:

Yeah, you are probably going to have to clean that intake out to get the puddled up oil out of there. If you don't want to pull the intake to clean it, you can probably get away with cleaning it with SeaFoam. Just follow the direction on the can. You have to suck like one third of the can through a vacuum line. A new PCV valve is critical since the old one is probably damaged.

Kurt

i did replace the PCV n thats the very reason im so concerned !
i get oil going into the intake thru the WORKING pcv...
should i get a catch can to go btwn the intake and the pcv?

*this is such a pain in the ass.. and im getting pretty frustrated :mad:

If you are getting a lot of oil, Steeda sells an oil serator for the line. Some cars do seem to suck more oil into the intake. I had to get an oil seperator for my setup because I was just getting too much oil in the intake. However, I would be a little concerned with your setup as you haven't had a problem with it before. Like I said, it might just be a lot of crud build up in the system.

Kurt