Oil Separator

• Sponsors (?)

what benefit do you think it would be to use it without the filter and why would you need a larger size?

I have the filter in mine and check it about once a month, have never had more then a tiny bit on the bottom of the resevoir

joekd said:
what benefit do you think it would be to use it without the filter and why would you need a larger size?

I have the filter in mine and check it about once a month, have never had more then a tiny bit on the bottom of the resevoir

Read in numerous posts in different forums about the filter clogging easily and separator working just as good without it. Many are removing the filter element Bigger separator means bigger pressure drop to catch more oil

I dont have the home depot style, i made one out of a spare glass see through inline carb filter and used that. Its not the best but it does pick up some residue, better than nothing...and i have the filter and all that stuff in

I run one with no filter element (cheapo version).

I had initial accumulation and then it stopped. I removed the element and it was pretty restrictive. Now that it is removed, I have accumulation again. So if accumulation drops off, at least clean the element.

With no element it still works as a catch can.

Good luck.

I have noticed the same thing as blackcloud. The oil level will only get so high then the oil passes right through the system again. Be sure to drain it often.

I will have to try running without the filter for a while and see what happens. I have been running with the filter element for a couple of months now. There is some concern that synthetic oils will deteriorate the filter material (this is suggested in a warning label on the instruction sheet for the separator). From what I have seen the filter may be damaged, but the bowl is unaffected. However, I did use a paper towel that had a small amount of brake cleaner left on it to wipe out the bowl once; that hazed up the bowl pretty bad.:nonono: The bowl now looks like the headlights on the 87 LX.:(

jason

Sorry to revive this dead thread :dead:

But I have a related question.

Does anyone else get more water in their separator than oil?

I had major problems for a long time with oil, but it seems to have just disappeared. Now, I just get water and enough oil to make it a little milky.
I dont' get any hint of a coolant smell, so I am not worried about that, just curious if anyone else gets water as well. It is probably just condensation due to the cold weather.

thanks