Ok, need some info about U/D pulleys!

hotmustang331

Apr 29, 2004
Bastrop,TX
Ok before you guys say they are not worth it, I have a cammed up GT with about every bolton (besides LTs which I am ordering tommorow), so I have very little options left lol. Looking for cheap little things that gain HP because I have a 300RWHP goal and dont think LTs will get me there...plasma booster may be next btw.

Im looking at these March pulleys , but want to make sure these are correct. March lists the long WP as 99-04 GT and the short WP as 01-04 and 01 cobra. :shrug: So do I have the short WP?

And these pulleys use the factory dampener, and I have heard that the stock one is better than the aftermarket ones due to its size....and the only non pigyback pullys you should get are the steedas because their dampener is the largest on the market besides the stocker. SO is this true? or are the piggyback ones the real engine killers? And if anyone has a better idea on which pulleys to get, list them please.

ONE OTHER THING, CAN SOMEONE PLEASE FIND ME A BIGGER POWERSTEERING PULLEY? I know the 00 cobra R came with one, and someone said the early 4.6 motors had big light weight powersteering pulleys. I just cant find any. Thanks a BUNCH. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

no piggybacks!, reccomend steeda under drives they are the best out there hands down, im going for 300rwhp na :nice: 2, my mods and power are in sig, next is some stage 3 port and polished heads, and some comp cams 270's new springs and valves hopefully ill get 30rwhp out that to put me at 300

Whats wrong with the piggy backs? i heard that the whole deal was the AMs smaller dampeners not dampening very good, and leading to premature engine failure. And that the steedas will reduce engine life, but not by much. I was about to order the march pullys too lol. Now I dont know what to do.

just my opinion, ive seen piggy backs and they have a poor fit and finish and i dont like the way they look, its up to you, but id never use them, ive had absolutley zero problems with my steeda underdrive pulleys, no heating, no electrical nothing and i had dyno as well as seat of the pants gains, only gain i noticed more on was the LT's

I bought the March pulleys, never a problem. Ther has been nothing to prove a problem with the piggy back styles. Steeda are good , March are good , different styles.
You will come a lot closer to 300 with the LTs than wasting money on the plasma booster.

Thanks guys. the thing holding me back is what i had heard I think over at MD about the dampener and engine life due to it not absorbing the vibrations as well. And the fact that the steedas are what $250? I just cant see spending that much more for a dampener that I dont need and that could destroy my engine :shrug: . Thanks forpit, glad to hear a happy march customer.... I dont want to risk any engine life for looks, and the steedas should have the same ratios as march right.

I really don't care if the name is Steeda, March, Roush, BBK, or Ford. If it does the same thing, then go by price. There are some things I would buy that have the Steeda name on them. With all the good competetion out there, there are not many good reasons to buy Steeda anything , except for the name.

Alright, got the March pulleys from mustangtuning.com for $136 shipped (free shipping...saved about $2 over the other link...WHOO HOO! :rlaugh: ) . I still was too woried about the steeda dampener and replacing a vital part of the engine that works flawlessly with something that wont work as well. I mean $200 for the steedas W/ a dampener(whos products are always expencive...about the same for March W/ dampener) or 136 W/O the dampener. All your paying is $64 for a dampener....thats just too cheap for it to be good IMHO and probably what the guys are talking about. I payed $350 for the dampener on my 66. You get what you pay for.

BTW Thanks for ALL of the input guys. :flag:

hotmustang331 said:
Alright, got the March pulleys from mustangtuning.com for $136 shipped (free shipping...saved about $2 over the other link...WHOO HOO! :rlaugh: ) . I still was too woried about the steeda dampener and replacing a vital part of the engine that works flawlessly with something that wont work as well. I mean $200 for the steedas W/ a dampener(whos products are always expencive...about the same for March W/ dampener) or 136 W/O the dampener. All your paying is $64 for a dampener....thats just too cheap for it to be good IMHO and probably what the guys are talking about. I payed $350 for the dampener on my 66. You get what you pay for.

If you pay 200 bucks for UDPs you are a fool. I got mine from partshopper fot 139.00