Opinions on these heads and cam advice

grey5.0beast

Cookies should never be DUNKED!!!
Aug 3, 2004
atl ga
I am thinking about trading a gun or buying these straight up if they are good.What do yall think. Here is the description:

set of 289 heads been milled .010, 194 intakes 160 exausts, comp double springs, screw in studs, some port work done. Never been bolted down since work was done. $400 or trade for set of bullits...
i think its a pretty good deal.

Now my current setup is:Explorer intake(I am sticking with it, port work may be done in the future), 70mm TB, 70MM MAF, E fan, and headers back exhaust.

If I got these heads, what would be a good cam to run? I was thinking a TFS1 or even an E cam.

That combo + 150 shot on a tire I think could net me some low low low 12s on a tire... maybe 11s??? wishful thinking....

• Sponsors (?)

That combo + 150 shot on a tire I think could net me some low low low 12s on a tire... maybe 11s??? wishful thinking....

Wishful thinking? More like a big messy wet dream.

289 heads have small combustion chambers (typically about 54cc). On a late model 5.0, that will definitely have a significant compression increase. However, stock 289 heads don't flow incredibly well by modern aftermarket standards. Even with the larger valves, I would get the heads flowed to make sure that the "some port work" you speak of is worth anything. With a really outstanding port job, 289 heads can be made to flow about on par with a set of GT-40X or Performer heads. Think along the lines of Thumper or Power Heads.

If they flow as well as a powerhead or Thumper head then that with a 150 shot on his motor should run low 12s on a tire. The vert will make it tougher, but other than weight and being less rigid a vert will run just as hard as a coupe or hatch.

Hmm. I don't know much at all about the heads. But, if what is said about the combustion chamber is true, then they might be a decent choice. The compression bump would definitely help out a lot compared to the stocker's very low comp. The nitrous would also love the compression. So if they flow decent they might run pretty good. Just not sure how to find out how they flow. If they're better than E7s I say it's worth it.

Alright I'm meeting him Friday with cash for 400, the fact that they're milled and the combustion chambers being 54cc should bring my compression up quite a bit.

I'll run a TFS1 cam. Should be good for 13.3-13.5s N/A if I can get it to hook. After the heads and cam will be a 6pt and control arms and I'll be hunting 11s

Scratch 400 cash, he said he'd take my walther plus 225 for the heads and a set of 1.6 ford racing roller rockers.

So here is going to be my parts list for the winter upgrades:
289 heads milled and new valves and springs
fabbed ebay alluminum VCs
TFS 1 Cam
1.6 roller rockers

That is just underhood stuff. I'll then do some control arms, 5 lug conversion has to get finished, 6pt when the summer rolls around.

Sounds like my car will be a new beast.

Actually if I don't want to go with a tfs1, what other cam should I be getting?? I really am clueless when it comes to cam selection. I want something that has decent overall HP and TQ, something that can take me to 5500-6000 and keep pulling, as my car has no top-end on it now.

The F cam was mentioned, is this what I want??

I would also like to have a healthy lope:D

A boot leg ass port job. He has the receipts for the work done and I just wanna get rid of this gun. I don't want gt40p's either, I already have headers and don't feel like swapping them or getting different plug wires to compensate. They'll do good for my setup.

A lunati 51014 worth the money??

A boot leg ass port job. He has the receipts for the work done and I just wanna get rid of this gun. I don't want gt40p's either, I already have headers and don't feel like swapping them or getting different plug wires to compensate. They'll do good for my setup.

A lunati 51014 worth the money??

no stick with the TFS1