Original gear question thread

ganador01

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2002
Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
I currently have 4.10 gear 8.8" rear end that has performance axles and c-clip eliminators. I am also running a 97 V6 with nitrous.

The v6 guys never talk about the actual numbers behind why x-gear works better for x-reason with x-setup. I went through the 8 pages of gear threads and my answer is still not solved.

Here is what i am doing. I am swapping in a 2000+ mustang GT engine that will eventually be turbo'd. I see in all the threads people talking about 4.10s N/A and 3.73s with FI. But, my other option at the moment is to switch to a stock 95 cobra rear end with 3.27 gear. Why is a 4.10 gear a power adder soo bad? Is the rpm range not good enough to build sufficient levels of boost or what? Does it move through the power band too quickly? I just really need to know if getting rid of my good rear end for a crappier rear end will actually be better in the end.

I really don't want to do a gear swap either as that is generally more expensive then just selling my rear end and buying a new one.

• Sponsors (?)

Part of it is not blowing the tires on launch and the other is usuable RPM range. If you get your RPM range into the 6500's or above then you can get some use out of each gear. But you also have to be able to get that power to the ground. I blow my 275/40's away with what little HP I have now. I can hook with DR's but with the HP numbers you would be looking at with a turbo set-up I think I would stick with 3.73's

I would suggest just leaving the 3.27 gears in there you will be busy enough with the other stuff you have planned. You can change out the gears later if you need to once the engine swap and turbo are finished.

as a few others have said.. With a power adder you will go thru the gears QUICK.. traction issues with 4.10's can be easily solved with slicks.. if your doing quicker spooling twin turbo setup then you might be better served with 3.73's or even 55's on street tires.. with a larger single turbo setup that might lag a bit more the steeper gears will be better, but you better run some sticky tires.

svttech76 said:
as a few others have said.. With a power adder you will go thru the gears QUICK.. traction issues with 4.10's can be easily solved with slicks.. if your doing quicker spooling twin turbo setup then you might be better served with 3.73's or even 55's on street tires.. with a larger single turbo setup that might lag a bit more the steeper gears will be better, but you better run some sticky tires.

I am dead set on a single turbo setup. I just gotta build an engine that can hold up to 6.5k rpmish. I am going to try and max out the top end of the engine and keep the bottom end with as little boost as possible. The car will already have plenty of gear/torque to move the car off the line. No need for a twin turbo to make traction issues that much worse.