PCV-Intake Oil Catcher...SEE here VIB!

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
411242OilCatcher.jpg

Joe and I have seen posts with people "fabbing" a "catch-can" device for installing in-line between the intake and PCV for those that are getting oil in the upper.

I saw something similar to this at a car show Friday. What I have posted here is the Filter to remove water from the air lines before it reaches the tools. This is made by Campbell Hausfeld and costs about $12 at Walmart. It has 1/4" female fitting on each side.

Im assuming you could just put the double male fitting on each side, then insert inline on the hose connecting the PCV to the Upper.

Any thoughts?

RC

• Sponsors (?)

Striped5.0 said:
Ive noticed that there was some oil in my upper since I had the Cobra Intake installed but am still at a loss for whats causing it :shrug:
Your car caught the oil in the upper intake disease from my car... I think I was the first to post/bring this problem back up awhile ago.

RC, let me know how that works out because I might have to give it a try

There is suppose to be some oil in the intake. Not puddles of it in the plenum though. You guys are N/A. The blower guys take this issue a little further. Boost blows this oil out somewhere (blow-by). For RC, myself and many others it's been the lower intake seal.

I may get one of these.

My car is N/A right now and I had a bad problem of oil pooling up in my intake, went down slightly once I put the PCV valve baffle on but I can gurantee you if I go take off the side cover, I'll have 2 pools of oil in their usual location... I would rather know whats causing my problem then just doing a little fix up with the catch can.

Ever since my car's been supercharged it has had a lot of oil preure problems. Neither the breather nor rerouting the oil lines to the supercharger have worked. When I drag race the dip stick gets blown part of the way out sometimes spewing oil on my headers. Not good. Will a catch can solve these issues? I have had some oil leaking through on some places because of these issues, specificly on the valve covers through the bolt holes. Nothing magor just a slight weep. Any info would be helpfull.

Pstatic said:
Ever since my car's been supercharged it has had a lot of oil preure problems. Neither the breather nor rerouting the oil lines to the supercharger have worked. When I drag race the dip stick gets blown part of the way out sometimes spewing oil on my headers. Not good. Will a catch can solve these issues? I have had some oil leaking through on some places because of these issues, specificly on the valve covers through the bolt holes. Nothing magor just a slight weep. Any info would be helpfull.

What is your CURRENT setup W.R.T. the hoses and lines?

My understanding is that no matter how "under control" everything seems, there will still be some oil going into the upper. I dont like "bandaids" as much as correcting a problem, but If nothing bad results in the small amount of oil going into the upper, Ill leave this filter in the line.

Im hopefully gonna be talking to bling soon...he has a good brake booster valve setup from the dipstick. I need to F/U with him to see the "exact" setup of the hoses and airflow.
RC

Ok, since I don't have a picture of the setup, I'll explain it as well as my pea size brain can manage :D Here goes.
Lower intake---oil screen---Turbo coupe PCV---1 way ck valve---tee fitting----1 hose to lower intake manifold---1 hose to upper intake manifold.

Now here's the other side of the car..

Stock oil cap---- 6 in of small hose from v/c vent nipple-----1 way ck valve---clear glass fuel filter---6in of same hose as before-----male fitting installed into Power Pipe. Hose connected to fitting. In my case this has cured the following issues that I had.
blowing dipstick out
blowing pcv out
oil pooling in upper intake.

This may or may not work for everyone, but in the cases I've seen it has worked. RC, feel free to call anyways if this isn't clear. I can't write as well as I can explain it :bang:

The filter I use is small. It's the cheap glass ones that they sell at all the parts stores. I don't know where you would mount the one that you showed. My ck valves are positioned so that you could not blow air back into the motor from either one.