"phenolic" spacer

1991notchbackLX

Dec 25, 2007
New York
did a search on this topic because i really didn't want to ask such a dumb question, but i came up with nada... i'm doing my h/c/i swap this weekend, and i realized i never bought the "phenolic" spacer for the intake manifold that was recommended... is the thing BS or what? does it really create a colder intake charge or is the difference negligible? will it affect my hood clearance or valve cover clearance? any help is appreciated, thanks

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Personally I don't think it really works for keeping the upper intake cooler unless you block the EGR passages. Otherwise you still have hot exhaust gases flowing through the upper intake on their way to the EGR valve.

I have always used them for VC clearance and such issues. I ran a 1" spacer on my 93 with the stock hood. The only clearance problem that I had was with the mat on the underside of the hood. Removed that and it fit fine. But every car is different. The best thing to do is put some clay or playdough on the highest point on the intake manifold. Close the hood and open it and cut the playdough and measure the thickness. That should give you and approximate dimension for clearances.

On my 91GT i had a 1" spacer on my Trick Flow Track Heat intake. All it is supposed to do is prevent the upper intake from getting hot from heat transfer from the lower. Mine made a corner of the intake manifold hit the hood liner. It melted to it and left a blank mark. Besides for that, no stock hood clearance problems.

On my 91GT i had a 1" spacer on my Trick Flow Track Heat intake. All it is supposed to do is prevent the upper intake from getting hot from heat transfer from the lower.

The upper intake still gets hot because heat transfer still takes place through the manifold bolts. The real functions of the spacer are to provide more clearance for taller valve covers, and to add length to the intake tract which shifts peak HP/TQ slightly lower down the rpm range.

I went with a 1" on my edelbrock performer intake.. sole reason because i decided to use the carb valve covers (quite a bit taller).

as for performance, you're not gonna see any... temp difference, a little cooler to the touch. but thats about it.

I bought a 1" spacer for the Trick Flow R intake I have going on soon and the Ford Racing valve covers. I have a 3" rise RR hood so I should not have any clearance issues.

What I would like to know though is did it cause any problems w/ clearance w/ the Strut Tower Brace? Figuring it will raise everything up 1" did the cold air inlet (stock or not) hit the STB not allowing it to bolt down? I'll have a C&L True Flow Tube connecting to my Throttle Body.

FYI This is on an SN95

It slows down heat transfer per say. And it also allows you to ice the intake faster.

Heat transfer takes place still though. Heat rises, so all that heat off your headers and collects under the hood heating the upper intake up.

Go for a long ride and pop the hood. Your intake will still be hot.

It helps, but don't expect any real gains.

I have a 1/2" spacer on my car