Pony Thief... (Dark Horse)

Casey4s

Sep 1, 2007
Woodbridge, VA
I have been on a crusade to eliminate the chrome from the outside of my car and replace with black stuff where I can.

I decided to replace the last piece, the Grill Pony, with a new 2010 black chrome grill Pony. It wasn't an exact fit but with a little help from the Dremel tool it looks pretty good to me.

Watcha think?

004.jpg

028-1.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I like the black Pony but it's too bad you can't remove that big old Virginia license plate from the front while you're at it :D

Maybe move to a "rear plate only" state and that black pony grill will look great!

Yeah the front plae sux, but it is strictly enforced here. I am so used to seeing front plates I hardly even notice it until someone mentions it.

We...

Need...

A...

HOW TO!!!

That looks fantastic! I'm planning on eventually deleting the fogs & pony with a black billet grill, but this may keep me happy for a while!!!

Really man, great job!

Thanks

I paid $37.00 on eBay for the new pony, the list is over $40, but now I have the Ford part number which is AR3Z8A224BA, and if you go to this link,

https://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214290&gclid=COeA6t7Jp44CFSgQFQod1EPtZQ

it only cost $28.76 and some 3M trim tape.

Time to install???

It didn't take a lot of time, a couple of hours all together I guess. Getting the old Pony off is a pain in the butt. It was just too much trouble to get the little locking nuts off of the pins on the old pony, so I just used a flat blade screw driver against the point where the pins come thrugh on the inside and broke the pins off and the pony just fell off.

The profile of the two ponys is different, so the back plate on the grille will not allow the pony fit. I had to use a dremel to trim away quite a bit of the recessed edge of that plate and attached with the 3M trim tape. If you look close it will look almost like the Pony has a shadow. NONE of the new pony's pins will fit the old backing plate on the grille.

Difficulty??

:D

It was not what I would call very difficult, but it takes a steady hand on the Dremel I suppose.

Don't hate the va front liscense plate too much,mine saved me from some scrap metal bouncin in the road i couldnt avoid, damn near cut the liscense plate in half and bent it pretty good, but hey, it saved my aluminum radiator and ac from getting trashed. :) Looks good btw, i have a stock grill pony layin around not sure what to do with it maybe i can try painting it or somethin.

Thanks

I paid $37.00 on eBay for the new pony, the list is over $40, but now I have the Ford part number which is AR3Z8A224BA, and if you go to this link,

https://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214290&gclid=COeA6t7Jp44CFSgQFQod1EPtZQ

it only cost $28.76 and some 3M trim tape.

It didn't take a lot of time, a couple of hours all together I guess. Getting the old Pony off is a pain in the butt. It was just too much trouble to get the little locking nuts off of the pins on the old pony, so I just used a flat blade screw driver against the point where the pins come thrugh on the inside and broke the pins off and the pony just fell off.

The profile of the two ponys is different, so the back plate on the grille will not allow the pony fit. I had to use a dremel to trim away quite a bit of the recessed edge of that plate and attached with the 3M trim tape. If you look close it will look almost like the Pony has a shadow. NONE of the new pony's pins will fit the old backing plate on the grille.

It was not what I would call very difficult, but it takes a steady hand on the Dremel I suppose.

Thanks for the detailed response! :)

You could probably drill the individual holes the 2010 uses, couldn't you???

And you had to dremel "the area around the stock pony"??? Is the 2010 pony "longer", "wider", or "thicker"??? :shrug:

Thanks for the detailed response! :)

You could probably drill the individual holes the 2010 uses, couldn't you???

And you had to dremel "the area around the stock pony"??? Is the 2010 pony "longer", "wider", or "thicker"??? :shrug:

The Pony is just in a slightly different "stance". it's nose is a bit higher, the tail is shaped slightly different and a couple of other little places are slightly different. When you look at the two Pony's side by side it's hard to even see the difference, I was surprised that they were different.

I just found it a lot easier to simply trim the pins off, and use the 3M trim tape.

Yeah the front plae sux, but it is strictly enforced here. I am so used to seeing front plates I hardly even notice it until someone mentions it.

what i did, was got the swift motorsports licenseplate bracket. Swift Motorsports

this way when at shows and stuff, i can just flip it down. i see you have a chin spoiler, so you might have to get creative with a way to mount it, but its really cool, and i get alot of questions on it.

anything new on this out there yet?

Hi guys. My first post. I have been a part of the 4.0 collective forums for a couple years and never found your site until I did a search for the 2010 black chrome on a 2005 issue. I see this post is a wee bit old, but I was wondering if anyone has found anything different for this application yet? I have the Pony emblem in Black Chrome and I am chomping at the bit to put it on my 2005 vert. It is off the grill already and I had to break the pins off in order to get it off the grill. I would appreciate the help....