PROBLEMS need help!!

1qckFOX

Jan 1, 2004
OK my car smells like exhaust fumes bad it has been like this for a while and i just patched up all the leaks. Also sometimes when i drive it smells like gasoline and the gas starts dripping out a tube on the rear passenger side. My car also smells like it it running rich. Prety worried i know that is not safe. Do yal have any ideas.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you the guy who added the stuff in your sig, or did you buy the car with it already installed? It helps to know so that we can separate what someone else may have done without you knowing about it.

1qckFOX said:
OK my car smells like exhaust fumes bad it has been like this for a while and i just patched up all the leaks. Also sometimes when i drive it smells like gasoline and the gas starts dripping out a tube on the rear passenger side. My car also smells like it it running rich. Prety worried i know that is not safe. Do yal have any ideas.
might want to drop the tank and fix whatever is leaking.

Take a look at the filler tube and see if the gas is coming from the filler grommet. It will leak good till the tank's level drops a good ways - then it might slow down or stop till you corner hard or fill up.

Check the fuel lines too - sometimes they are very close to tail pipes (I had to do some modifying myself).

Good luck.

I don't know if the 89's have the same setup as the 95's but when I dropped my tank last summer I accidentally tore a big rubber grommit that sits at the opening of the tank. The filler tube goes through it. Since it's rubber, maybe yours has rotted out and is causing the leak.

eschlenz said:
I don't know if the 89's have the same setup as the 95's but when I dropped my tank last summer I accidentally tore a big rubber grommit that sits at the opening of the tank. The filler tube goes through it. Since it's rubber, maybe yours has rotted out and is causing the leak.
That'd be the filler grommet mentioned above. :nice:

Happened to my (unmechanical) buddy's 98GT and while I helped him replace it, his bowtie-freak neighbor came over and had a cow about the Ford design. :rolleyes: