Properly Jack up the entire car

xplo89gt

Founding Member
Jul 14, 1999
Boston, MA
I'm planning on doing my 5 lug conversion soon and I'm wondering whats the best way to jack up the car. I've never had 4 wheels off the ground at once before.

1) I want to know best places to put jackstands for the 5 lug conversion.
2) Which end do I jack up first? I assume the front since the rear wheels are the drive wheels.

Usually in the front I put the stands under the K-Member. Is this ok?
I was also going to put jacks under the rear end for the rear, but what's the best way to jack that up? I read in another post putting the floor jack under the differential is bad.

And lastly, I also have lower control arms to do which I may do at a later time. In that case I think you need to put stands under the frame. Where is the best spot for them?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Jack up the rear by the pimpkin and place a jackstand on each axle tube. As for the front, you could probably put jack stands under the a-arms or on each end of the k-member.

RacEoHolic330 said:
Jack up the rear by the pimpkin and place a jackstand on each axle tube. As for the front, you could probably put jack stands under the a-arms or on each end of the k-member.
Good advice, that's what I do.

I also chock the wheels that are opposite the jack when I raise or lower the car with the jack. I have had the wheels move and tilt the jackstands - Scary when it happened.

i have done it one wheel at a time, but thats not fun (crappy floor jack, that was almost dead) i jack up by the diff, the put a jackstand on either side on the axel tubes or the suspension or the frame (depends what i am doing) then for the front i jack from the k member in the middle and either put the 2 jack stands on the a arms or k member right at the ends (again depends what i am doing)

use 4 jack stands for sure, and put a jack under a frame rail or something by the wheel you are working on just for insurance, i also like to slide my tires under the car as well for extra insurance (can't be to carefull when limbs are gonna be under the car)

RacEoHolic330 said:
the tire idea is good as a safety. But i'd use tires that are mounted on wheels. I think a tire alone would collapse too much if the car fell on it.
I had a car start to fall off a jack when I was younger and my shoulder was in the fenderwell and I was crouched down, no one was home and the car was on my shoulder. After Panic slowed down I had the wheel off and leaning against the side of the garage and of course it was out of reach, but my tire iron was able to get at it and I was able to slide it under the car and wedge myself out. Not a fun experience to say the least!

Im not really sure what your asking. But when I swapped my rear, I Loosened everything, put one jack under the diff, and unbolted the uca's. Then I put anther jack under one lca, pulled the bolt and slowly lowered it till I could get the spring out. then I did the same on the other side and there, the rear was free. Lowered the jack and pulled it out.

My ex-girlfirends dad had a car fall on him while he was under it. Amazingly, he didn't die, but he lives in constant pain. His latest of years of surgeries had a morphine pump implanted into his body that he can adjust and self-administer. He sleeps on the couch and can't go up and down stairs very easily.
BE CAREFUL UNDER YOUR CAR!

jrichker said:
Good advice, that's what I do.

I also chock the wheels that are opposite the jack when I raise or lower the car with the jack. I have had the wheels move and tilt the jackstands - Scary when it happened.

Good to hear I've been doing it the right way...

:lol: kerpal thats a great name.

Oh yea and whichever side you jack up first and get on stands, watch for them to start leaning when your picking up the other end of the car. If the stands lean, just hit the bottom of them with a hammer and level them out.

RacEoHolic330 said:
the tire idea is good as a safety. But i'd use tires that are mounted on wheels. I think a tire alone would collapse too much if the car fell on it.

thats what i meant. when i take a tire off and i am gonna be doing breaks or something, i just slide that tire under the car where i am working

yeah , that is def the right idea,

put the jack stands on the pair of frame rails, right befor it curves up into the firewall..put some heavy towels or something to protect if you want.
I usually just jack the front from the k-member with a section of 2x4 to protect the kmember.

I would then jack the rear from the pumpkin and put the jackstands under the axal tubes. from experience, not all aftermarket installs are done correctly, some aftermarket installs may have the brake line on the bottom of the axel tubes..
.try not to place the jack head in contact with the cover of the pumkin, prolly wont hurt it, but Ive seen a couple covers that were suspect from just such a thing.

Wow. Thanks. Great responses.

Which do you normally jack up first? The rear end or the front end? (when putting the whole car up)

Also I know you guys say put the jack stands under the frame rails, but im not exactly sure where they are... i know the subframe connectors are on them, so my question is how far do they go past the subframe connectors and its definately safe to put jack stands on them? (if its not on the subframe connector?)

sorry for any confusion... im still buzzing/hungover from last night... hehe gonna start when it wears off!

Depending on how low your car sits, you may have to go front to back in a couple of repetitions. It is easier for me if I do the front first. More room to slide the jack under the back than the front when the opposite end is raised.