Pros And Cons Of Running Open Offroad H Pipe (No Mufflers)

• Sponsors (?)

marine_2003 said:
If you have no mufflers you wont have any back pressure on the engine and you will float your valves.

I know two people who've ran open H-pipes and they had no valve float what-so-ever..even with stock valve springs all the way to the rev limiter. (6,250). I even ran an open H-pipe for three days one time. Only thing about them its loud as hell. My buddy Kyle's 95 5.0, all he has is Mac headers, off road H-pipe and thats it. No mufflers, nothing. No problems, but you can hear him coming from about a mile away. :nice:

Valve float has nothing to do with backpressure. And people confuse backpressure with exhaust scavenging.

On topic, it will be loud. And it will be loud. And......

I would also want a pretty fine state of tune, or every burp, fart and misfire will be a lot more pronounced than it was before. Honestly, with as loud as the exhaust systems are these days, I dont see the need to run with no mufflers.

Just MHO.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Valve float has nothing to do with backpressure. And people confuse backpressure with exhaust scavenging.

On topic, it will be loud. And it will be loud. And......

I would also want a pretty fine state of tune, or every burp, fart and misfire will be a lot more pronounced than it was before. Honestly, with as loud as the exhaust systems are these days, I dont see the need to run with no mufflers.

Just MHO.

Good luck.

Hissin, Ive respected your opioion ever since I joined this forum. I run Flowmaster 40s and my car is no where as loud as I wanted. I ran stright H for a week in between switching out for flows over stock. When I ran stright H I loved it except the ''burp/fart''s and it sounding a little sick. When I put on my Flows I feel that I lost a noticable amount of lowend, and I don't like that. I would like to know what is suggested for mufflers that will give me the desired result. I cannot afford to try differnt exhusts. I'm not trying to start a "exhust argument". I was thinking of spintechs, is this a wise choice? Will all mufflers sound similar on a mild modded engine? Thanks. I look forward to see a responce from you Hissin.

No mufflers is cool for about 2 months. Then after you start getting tickets for noise and waking up the neighbors you'll decide that it's time to put the mufflers back on...

Spintechs are about as loud you can get.

MBAS, feel no need to tenderfoot around me. Exhaust is one of the few things where there is NO wrong answer - everyone has a tone or decibel level that suits him/her.

Based simply off of what you just said in your second post (which I didnt consider in my first post), I can tell that you and I have different thresholds for what sounds just right (as I get older, I cant handle loud exhaust as much. I will say that my first car ran 4-2's and right out true sidepipes. It was LOUD. You know what? I loved it!).

I can really only offer experience and the notation that you know I have a toned-down preference from what you like.

The '94 runs shorties, a catted aftermarket H-pipe and a Flowpath cat-back. Honestly, in a coupe, I consider it marginal. There is a roar at any RPM over about 1800 that permeates the interior and could get tiresome during a long drive. So that is my definition of loud. You would laugh in my face if I told you that while the car idled, I'm sure. :)

That said, even two chambers in a vert is not loud at all, to me. Coupe vs vert = huge difference in what I like (I like verts louder).

You might be one who likes something like turbo tubes. I have NOT heard them in person though. In my day, we used glass packs, but there has got to be something better these days (though they are cheap if you wanna try some). I thought turbo tubes might be along the glasspack line, but better. Others can say.

Have you hit Chris's (Donjohn's) exhaust site? I have not been, but have heard really good things about it.

I, like you, could never afford to change exhaust systems like underwear, so I have not tried nearly as many as I would have liked. Others will be able to help you. And now that we see that you already have tried running with just an O/R and liked it, that does really help. :nice: You just want to clear up the resonation of misfires and backfires, etc. Let's see what the wise folks say. :nice:

Good luck.

I have 87 stock headers h-pipe and 40 series w/ turndowns and when I am stopping at about 1k rpm's it vibrates the whole car and the ground.Its freakin loud at 1k and around 3500-6000rpms and sounds damn good when I am cruising with a tone not to loud.

-Nathan-

I had a friend that ran nothing but headers and off-road H-pipe

Car was rediculously loud

Had to drive with windows down all the time

We stunk like fuel

His car lost torque and was slower.

At the time, we were 17 and thought it sounded cool, but looking back, it was the most obnoixious sound ever. I'd probably be embarrassed to drive a car with that setup again.

Well, since it doesn't sound like it will cause damage to the car, you might as well just do it. When you get sick of it - and I bet you will - then you can put on some mufflers of your choice for a change. I had my mufflers unhooked for about 6 months - not really a tone, just loud.

I was setting off car alarms w/ my stock headers/prochamber and 40 series flowmasters w/o tailpipes, so that was pretty loud...did that for about 6 months and now I have my tailpipes back on. My car seems to respond better w/ the tailpipes on and - if I remember correctly - I think it lagged a bit when I had the mufflers totally unhooked.

Do what you like:flag:

on my 85 i had put some magnaflows on, hoping to get that throaty V8 sound, but the car was quieter at idle and just a little bit louder in the higher RPMs, i was bummed. so i went to another exhuast shop and they made a dump for me on the single pipe right next to the cat(the 85 mustangs werent true dual exhuast, true duals came in 86) that i could cap off and on. i loved it. not to many other people liked it, but i thought it just sounded like tits.

~Steve

hey guys, its my first post on the site...AND WHAT A GREAT SITE IT IS!!

I have a bonestock GT, and obviously it has the factory cats...how is this setup doing to sound w/ no mufflers? I know its still going to be loud, and probably obnixious :D but are the cats gonna quiet it down a bit and possibly even smooth out the tone alittle bit?

Does anyone have sound/video clips of this setup or something similair?

mustangGT85
exhaust tones are like farts, everyone likes their own.

:lol:

The thing about exhaust is that it is subjective. Look at all the kids running around with fart cans. They actually think that their car sounds good!! WHat sounds good to me or you doesn't sound good to the other guy.