puddle under car....

02greenGT

Oct 15, 2003
Chicagoland
Been a while since I posted here but still cruise the boards.

In the last week I have noticed I have a puddle forming on my garage floor from the Back of my car in the middle. its pretty thick but not too discolored, moderate brown color. I have 32k on my 02 and was thinking maybe the gasket on the differential is shot, but it really doesnt look dark enough to be gear lube with 32k on it. Anyone with similiar puddles with insight. Obviously Im getting under that car tomorrow, just thought I would see if there was anyone with a similiar situation to plan ahead.

• Sponsors (?)

A "puddle" forming from the diff is indeed an oddity worth looking into quickly. If you said "drops" I wouldn't be too worried but a puddle implies more than just weeping from a seal or gasket.

Has the rear cover been off recently? Has the fluid been changed...maybe too much added? If the car has the factory seal on the cover and the fluid is untouched and is all of a sudden leaking like crazy you might have a crack or a casting flaw (porosity). Definitely get under there and see where the leak is coming from. Whatever you do, don't let the diff run dry...

not like anyone wants an update on this but gasket deteriorated over time no major problem just drain, new gasket, posi addative and reseal 69.95, wish I had more time on my hands parts cost 15.00 Im sure. anyway She's running and no new leakage. thanks for the replies.