Put more 275's on a 65 coupe.

• Sponsors (?)

outlaw66 said:
MDJAY,
am interested in the poor mans mini tubbing you speak of. I'm a little confused on what happens after the 9 inch slit is made in the front inner wheel well. you talked about a sledge and plate stock. wouldn't you have to cut the floor out some to expand the wheelhouse? I just installed flares and looking from the rear of the wheelwell to the front of the wheelhouse I could use another inch in the front for tire clearance but am somewhat confused on expanding the wheelhouse without cutting the floor some. There is also a seat belt nut plate in the area but it seems as if it would not be an issue. could you clarify a little or provide a picture.
thanks

Outlaw

I second that request and add a request for a pic of the "slight buckle" area

The slit is in the front corner of the inner wheelhouse from the bottom, up 8-9 inches.

It creates a releaf point and opens up when you start hammering. You can't move the wheelhouse in without that releaf.

You use the flat stock as a dolly and hit it with a sledge hammer. This is an aesthetic issue. Otherwise you will just make a bunch of hammer marks in the metal.

After you're done moving the wheelhouse in, you cut out a little pie cut piece of sheet metal and fill the gap you just created. Then undercoat.

I didn't take pictures but I'll take some of the car now asa I can.

iskwezm said:
yeah,thats the size, the sidewall doesnt bother me or him, but people get all wierd and start going off on how they should be on a 8" wheel etc. The BFG's do push out a little more then my Kumho's and the Nitto DR's fit even better. Out of all the cars at Knotts last year, there was only maybe 3 using 275's, including yours if you had them, this year it will be the norm after all the questions i got last year..............no longer unique:(

im gonna try some 9" wheels soon :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 275 on a 8" wheel would be prone to loose its seal under hard cornering. I believe most manufactureres reccomend a max tire size of 255 for an 8" wheel...

REPLIMOD #17 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 275 on a 8" wheel would be prone to loose its seal under hard cornering. I believe most manufactureres reccomend a max tire size of 255 for an 8" wheel...
i have never lost a tire, i know people get all crazy and start to quote specs on what size wheel it should be and thats in black and white. I feel I drive my car pretty hard under certain circumstances., not saying that its my research, but i havent heard of this happening. I think the Cobras come with a 17X8 and 275's, so it must be ok for Ford to do it right? I have 315's on a 8" wheel on my truck and even aired down to 10 psi off roading never lost a bead.People will say a 275 on 8" wheel is pointless becaus the contact patch is reduced because the tire pulls in on the outside, yet everybody that queestioned me saying it wont work is now using them.

iskwezm said:
i have never lost a tire, i know people get all crazy and start to quote specs on what size wheel it should be and thats in black and white. I feel I drive my car pretty hard under certain circumstances., not saying that its my research, but i havent heard of this happening. I think the Cobras come with a 17X8 and 275's, so it must be ok for Ford to do it right? I have 315's on a 8" wheel on my truck and even aired down to 10 psi off roading never lost a bead.People will say a 275 on 8" wheel is pointless becaus the contact patch is reduced because the tire pulls in on the outside, yet everybody that queestioned me saying it wont work is now using them.

Interesting...how about taking a measurent to see what you contact patch is.
I'm curious to see how compares to a 9" wheel...

hehe here we go again. The contact patch should be bigger on a 9" rim as that is the suggested size a 275 series tire should be ran on. But the recommended sizes are 7.5-9.5 for my tire with recommended being the 8.5 range.

mdjay said:
The slit is in the front corner of the inner wheelhouse from the bottom, up 8-9 inches.

It creates a releaf point and opens up when you start hammering. You can't move the wheelhouse in without that releaf.

You use the flat stock as a dolly and hit it with a sledge hammer. This is an aesthetic issue. Otherwise you will just make a bunch of hammer marks in the metal.

After you're done moving the wheelhouse in, you cut out a little pie cut piece of sheet metal and fill the gap you just created. Then undercoat.

I didn't take pictures but I'll take some of the car now asa I can.

Thank you, I appreciate it. Having looked at it, re-read your post I think I understand where the metal is going to buckle. But pics would be even better.

88stanggonebad said:
hey guys there this company that says they have the correct backspace to fit 17x9.5 torque thrust II wheels with 275 rubber in the back of 67 and up stangs check them out here the website, just scroll down till you find the rims. http://www.autoworks.cc/index.html

yep. the 67-up cars have a bit more room.

if my memory serves me correctly it was a 5.75 bs on that rim and it was a real snug fit. pan hard bar required.