Rear brake lines - removal questions

blackstangt

May 31, 2004
ny
I am doing a rear rebuild, so i need to take off the e-brake and rear brake lines...
1. how do i take off the rear lines (from axle) without losing fluid?
2. how do i take off the rear lines if i will have to drain fluid?
3. how do i remove the e-brake cable?
4. how do i get the drums off of the rear axle?

all the stuff i found in the two days searching the threads was sn-95 or later for rear rebuilds, and if anyone has done one, how much do you think it would cost at a shop to get axles/diff/gears installed with me providing oils and bearings as well as axles/diff/gears?

• Sponsors (?)

If you need to remove the rear lines to change your Wheel Cylinders your going to lose fluid, your going to have to bleed your brakes. If your drums dont slide right off then pull the rubber plug and turn the star wheel with a screw driver until you can. Once you have the drum off you can disconnect your handbrake cables. BTW, why do you want to remove your handbrake cables?

I just remove the axle and leave the brakes on the car.

You have to pull the axles anyway, so jack it up, pull the cover, drain it, pull the cross pin and c clips, then take the axles out.

Then unbolt the brake backing plates (I have all drum rears) and the hard line, on the axle. Then use coat hanger wire to hold or hang, the backing plates, with the brakes, lines and e brake cables still attached, in place, out of the way.

Then the rear axle assemble can just be dropped out and the brakes are totally intact.

Installation is the reverse of removal....

There is a special tool to remove the E brake cable from the drum. Slides over that expanding thing, and collapse's it all at once.

If you don't want to buy it, find a socket that is just right and tap it on, it works, but not as good.

If you can't figure out how to remove the e-brake cable, or are stumped by the assembly of the rear drum brakes, you should not be working on your Mustang.

Just spray it all off with Brake Cleaner, take a good look, then disassemble.

kn7671 said:
If you can't figure out how to remove the e-brake cable, or are stumped by the assembly of the rear drum brakes, you should not be working on your Mustang.

Just spray it all off with Brake Cleaner, take a good look, then disassemble.
there's always a douchebag on every thread...:nono:
I allready did the brakes a few months ago, so im not 'confused' by the assembly...
And so you know, i've changed almost every part of my car by myself except the rear up till now with limited funds/working area/time/tools.
I'm having a friend help me with the rear(lack of tools), but he hasn't been around, I don't want to screw up somethng inside the housing, so i'm taking this slow, i saw in the daylight that there are 4 bolts holding on the drum assembly, so i'm going to take these off as well as the brake lines off the rear, my other friend came over and without my permission pulled the mains off the rear i put them back on but wasn't 100% sure what way the arrows faced, but i think they're on the correct sides, how will i know?