Rear Wheel spacers

S351Saleen77

Jun 27, 2002
Washington
O.K. I have a ? on spacers. I have been told that 1/4" is the widest with stock studs and lug nuts. I measured and I have 10 threads being used...if I put on a 1/4" spacer I would only have 5 threads holding the wheel on. Is this enough??

Also do any of you have a lowering springs and 10" Saleen wheels with 1" spacers on a 94-98? The kind that bolt on and have their own studs? I would love these but not sure that I wouldn't rub. I put a ruler across the front of the tire up to the fender and if I add 1" the sides of the tires would be out past the fender...the tread part would still be o.k.
So i'm wondering if any of you have this combo and any issues with rubbing? Saleen "Rolled" the fender lips sort of...there still is about 1/4" of a lip.

Thanks, Tom

• Sponsors (?)

If your using something 1/4 or smaller there is no structural loss. The only time it hurts to utilize spacers is if the spacer is so thick that you don't have enough thread for your lugs. Otherwise, if you have 700+ RWHP there essentially isn't much pressure on the spacer.

Visit Us Online: Mustang Accessories
cruizinlargebanner4.gif

I found out that MM says to have 6 threads or more.....they say to count how many turns to take your lug nut off and you should have 11 if you want to run a 1/4" spacer because the spacer takes up 5 threads.

So I have 5 instead of 6 threads. Just wondering if it will be o.k. for now. I will change out the studs and use a bigger spacer later probably.

MikeCruizin do you sell 1/4" spacers? I went to your site and couldn't find any.

If you are using any spacer you should change out the studs anyway. Bolt-on spacers which have an additional set of lugs are safer than bolt-through spacers where you pass the lugs through the spacer and bolt the wheel to them...even with thin spacers. In fact, the cheap thin ones are the most dangerous. I'd run a set of 1" bolt on spacers sooner than 1/4" spacers. If anyone wants me to explain why i will.

But any spacers should automatically be use with aftermarket hardened studs.

1/4 inch spacers are available

I found out that MM says to have 6 threads or more.....they say to count how many turns to take your lug nut off and you should have 11 if you want to run a 1/4" spacer because the spacer takes up 5 threads.

So I have 5 instead of 6 threads. Just wondering if it will be o.k. for now. I will change out the studs and use a bigger spacer later probably.

MikeCruizin do you sell 1/4" spacers? I went to your site and couldn't find any.

If you need a 1/4 inch spacer they are $10 per spacer. Do you need a couple or a full set?

Visit us online: Mustang Accessories
cruizinlargebanner4.gif

If you need a 1/4 inch spacer they are $10 per spacer. Do you need a couple or a full set?

Visit us online: Mustang Accessories
cruizinlargebanner4.gif

For now I would need just 2..........but I want to wait and see a pic of CurtisWCW34's 1" spacers and where his tires end up at.

i just bought the Eibach Pro Spacer kit for my car. They are just a tad under 1". I'll put them on and post some pics. Oh and i have 18x10's out rear in 295 BFG KDW2's

Hey thanks for the response!! Please post pics ASAP!!! Can you do a good shot of how much if any it sticks out past the fender?? Thanks again!!
Do you have lowering springs?? If you are stock height you will have more room than me. The Saleen I'm putting them on has the same tires as you.

Heres a pic of how the fronts are out more than the rear!
Picture009.jpg

Looks o.k. from this angle though!
Picture011.jpg

Thanks for the pic's!!:nice:

Can you do me a favor and measure with your car from the ground to the fender lip? It has to be on perfectly Level ground. Mine is 27 1/2" and 27 5/8" so I'm withing 1/8" from side to side. Since we have the same tire I just want to see the difference in ride height.

Your front is much higher than mine but I'm not sure on the back after you lowered it. It will make a difference in rubbing or not. If you are a inch or so higher you have much less chance of rubbing.

Thanks again!! I'm thinking of trying the 1" spacers now....look's great!!

Edit: I just filled my tank and now it's 27" & 27 1/8" so I lost a 1/2" from empty to full. At this height the rear is pretty low.

If you are using any spacer you should change out the studs anyway. Bolt-on spacers which have an additional set of lugs are safer than bolt-through spacers where you pass the lugs through the spacer and bolt the wheel to them...even with thin spacers. In fact, the cheap thin ones are the most dangerous. I'd run a set of 1" bolt on spacers sooner than 1/4" spacers. If anyone wants me to explain why i will.

But any spacers should automatically be use with aftermarket hardened studs.

I'm with you on this Mike - It's not the cheapest way to go, but it's the safest. And, after all, we are talking about the wheels/tires...the part connecting you to the ground and providing stability at speed. Why would anyone skimp in this area? :shrug:

i would measure it for you, but the car was just lowered so it will take a few weeks till the suspension sets to its final height. So the distance will change for sure. And i took the pics on my street which is on a hill. I'll try and take some more pics on level ground

O.K. Thanks, If you could though just to see where you are now I would like to find out. I'm thinking that I can't run one that wide because my car is too low.

It would be interesting to see how much your car drops in the next few weeks. I have put springs on and thats pretty much where you are...........it might take years to start to drop. If you measure now and in a few weeks you can see what happens.

Maximum Motorsports told me they have run these 1" spacers on a roadrace car for a few years now with no problems!