Replacing Clutch

• Sponsors (?)

I'd go with the Spec 3+. Much better than the 3, which I have, and will allow you to get more slip than the 3. It will hold all the power you can throw at it.

Aside from the fact that the T56 weighs on the order of 120-lbs and will be a bitch to wrestle around without the car on a hoist and without a proper trans jack to take the weight, doing a clutch isn't rocket science.

Just get the details right:

• re-surface the flywheel (make sure the dowels are re-installed afterward)
  • use red Loctite on the flywheel bolts and driveshaft bolts
  • replace the pilot- and release-bearings
  • inspect, de-burr (or replace if needed) and lube up the input shaft collar where the release bearing rides
  • remove any anti-corrosion coating from the pressure plate and keep oil off the disc and flywheel surfaces
  • lube up the release arm fulcrum
  • tighten the pressure plate evenly and in a pattern to final torque
  • put a bit of trans fluid on the trans output shaft yoke when re-installing it

and you won't have any problems.

Aside from the fact that the T56 weighs on the order of 120-lbs and will be a bitch to wrestle around without the car on a hoist and without a proper trans jack to take the weight, doing a clutch isn't rocket science.

Just get the details right:

• re-surface the flywheel (make sure the dowels are re-installed afterward)
  • use red Loctite on the flywheel bolts and driveshaft bolts
  • replace the pilot- and release-bearings
  • inspect, de-burr (or replace if needed) and lube up the input shaft collar where the release bearing rides
  • remove any anti-corrosion coating from the pressure plate and keep oil off the disc and flywheel surfaces
  • lube up the release arm fulcrum
  • tighten the pressure plate evenly and in a pattern to final torque
  • put a bit of trans fluid on the trans output shaft yoke when re-installing it

and you won't have any problems.

Awesome tips! Thanks for sharing. I am about to install a new clutch in my 2000 gt and am looking for some pointers.:hail2:

Pretty much what Trinity GT said. It's not hard if you do it right. The first time I did it was in the driveway on jackstands, by myself, with no tranny jack. it sucked and I wound up botching the install. i wound up with uneven teeth on the pressure plate either from screwing up the torque or more than likely banging it around trying to muscle it in place by myself. Had a lot of vibration which eventually caused the to bearing retainer to break. When I redid it had it on a lift with a helper and a tranny jack, came out perfect.

The second time in I raplaced everything also, there was some gouging on the release arm and pivot ball so I replaced both of those, they were pretty cheap. Take your time, do it right, and if theres any question about the condition of a part, replace it, unless you want to do it again in 1000 miles.