Build Thread "Rising from Ashes" 94 Cobra build thread

• Sponsors (?)

You must have a very understanding wife my friend. I have one kid, and an hour or two in the garage a week can sometimes land me in the dog house.
i'm with you, my friend. mine are now 20 and 17, and i am finally just starting to have time in the evenings and weekends to work on some of the projects i have been wanting to do for years.

so steeda, do you do this stuff full time now for a living? that's a great job if you can get it!

Todays update.

I think I mentioned earlier that the 94 Cobra had the leather seats stolen out of it before I got the car. I was never a big fan of the leather 94 up seats anyway.

I have spent a good deal of time searching for Recaro seats for this project. I have a nice set in my foxbody and after riding in them, I decided they are my favorite Mustang seats. I found several sets for sale only for them to be sold within hours.

So I ran across a set of Recaros on CL that were basically being given away. Needless to say I dropped everything and picked these up within an hour of them being posted.

Reacros1.jpg

Of course I going to tear these down and strip the frames, blast and powdercoat. It made no sense to put new foam and covers on old rusty frames. SO teardown
Reacros5.jpg

Reacros3.jpg

Reacros7.jpg

Reacros6.jpg

But before I blast these and redo them I need to mock them up in the car. I am going to need to fab up new seat tracks because I dont like my knees up in the steering wheel.
Interior12.jpg

Interior13.jpg

Now time for the frames to get blasted
Reacros8.jpg

I need to find recline adjusters because the ones on there were broken. As far as covers. I am thinking black suede inserts in the middle were it was red and black leather on the bolsters. Not decide yet?

I had the same seats from your old one in my fox vert. Jegs I think sells them although mine were back of the truck 2 for 1 specials from Craigslist. I thought those where really comfortable but the cloth factory ones in my 94 are really comfortable. Long drives and never an issue. Thought about trying to pick up a leather set but youre the 2nd person who said they arent great.

:drool::drool: My god man ur work is amazing im so impressed every time i open this thread. Ive shown all the guys at my work this thread and they are amazed.
I know what you mean about the right person, my girlfriend just bought me my heads:D Keep up the great work:nice:

:drool::drool: My god man ur work is amazing im so impressed every time i open this thread. Ive shown all the guys at my work this thread and they are amazed.
I know what you mean about the right person, my girlfriend just bought me my heads:D Keep up the great work:nice:

Thanks! I appreciate it... and sounds like you have a keeper:nice:

I married the right person. I couldn't support my Mustang addiction without her support.

Lol, so youre saying youre a gold digger... Just playin' man, I know what you mean. My wife was ok with the car back in college when I didnt have money to spend on it and we didnt have a joint account. Now all money earned needs to be put toward things that benefit "our family." I keep trying to explain to her how much fun our family can have at mustang events... Haha, needless to say she just wont really ever be on board. Its ok though, because she makes up for that character flaw in 100 other ways. Keep up the good work, I enjoy seeing your skills put forth.

Well it was time to upgrade my old supercharger which wasn't going to be very hard to do, so I decided to go with the tried and true Vortech S trim supercharger with a Mondo bypass for this car. I am going to go ahead and upgrade it to a T-Trim so there will be no shortage of boost.
As it arrived
331Strokerbuild25-1.jpg

First thing I did was smooth, blast and powder the brackets and replace and polish all the bolts. Should have cleaned the dust off before I took a pic but oh well.
Vortech2.jpg

Vortech3.jpg

I have not have a chance to do any work to the actual head unit yet other than replacing the bolts, but I will be detailing the head unit as well.

Some other new parts for the old 94.
Aluminum flywheel
Drivetrain8.jpg

Spec stage 3 clutch
Drivetrain9.jpg

I'm pretty close to being caught on the car progress. Up next is the body work on the driver door.

Even if your just priming, you can tell the outcome by the tape and masking job, proper materials are key, NO NEWSPAPER!
Bodywork79.jpg

Next up cleaning and scuffing metal ready to prime
Bodywork76.jpg

ALL the metal, even things you will never see
Bodywork77.jpg

Bodywork78.jpg

Next two wet coats of SPI Epoxy Primer
Bodywork81.jpg

Dried and ready to start body work
Bodywork82.jpg

Filler work done and blocked down
Bodywork83.jpg

Bodywork84.jpg

Bodywork85.jpg

Next up will be another round of epoxy primer, blocking, high build primer, and blocking again... them it will about to be ready to spray.
Hey I had several requests for body work pics so here they are.

Is that a spec flywheel as well? Im wanting to run that same setup with my new motor, have you ran that setup before if so how did you like? sorry for all the questins:rolleyes:

Yes, In my opinion, I like the Spec clutch/flywheel best. I have used the setup in the past as well as all the others out there. I like the stage 3 clutch better for holding power and not killing the leg in traffic. My old car had a Zoom stage 4 and after pulling it out, I did not like the wear pattern it was showed after only 50 miles.