roller rocker adjustment ?

just rebuilt my engine. now that Im over 500 miles on it I thought I would do a few high rmp runs. when i installed the 185 AFR heads & new roller rockers, the instructions on the rockers said to tighten the nut down until there was no slack then go 1/2 to 1 turn more. i noticed that when doing this. on some of the lifters, the plunger would be depressed by the additional turn but others did not. i soaked the lifters for about a week befor installing them. they are factory original lifters also. once the engine was back in the car and running, it sounded like the rockers were tapping. I pulled the valve covers and found that the rockers had quite a bit of play in them. I loosened the lock bolt and tightened the nut with my fingers until there was no play and gave another 1/2 turn with a wrench. after doing all the rockers like this i rechecked the first one and it was sloppy again. is this normal? at about 6000 the engine seems like it hit the rev limiter but it is set at 6700. could the rockers be to tight?

• Sponsors (?)

yes, they are stud mounted 1.6 roller rockers. I think the issue is that when i first set the adjustment and then rolled the motor over by hand, it squeezed the oil out of the lifters and made them loose again. I will readust them tonight after work and see how that works and post the results. thanks for the tips

Not sure if you were doing this but when you're tightening down those rockers, you have to turn the crank as well for each and every rocker. First, you want to start out with #1 cylinder up. Tighten down to zero lash with just your fingers until you feel just a little resistance and then do your 1/4 - 1/2 turn more with the wrench. Turn the crank until you see exhaust valve starting to come up, then do the same with that rocker bolt/nut. Do the same for the rest of the rockers but in the order that the cylinders fire. Remember, when you're adjusting the rockers you have to take into consideration where each valve is resting on the cam lobe. Otherwise, you're gonna have a messy situation on your hands. Quite possibly a bent valve or pushrod because of improper adjustment. If you're unsure, I'd stop into a local speedshop and ask some questions.

~Correction in text~

I stated "where each valve is resting on the cam lobe" in my response. It should've been "where each lifter( in essence, the pushrod )is resting on the cam lobe". Improper adjustment could cause you another set of a few things in your assembly.

Not sure if you were doing this but when you're tightening down those rockers, you have to turn the crank as well for each and every rocker. First, you want to start out with #1 cylinder up. Tighten down to zero lash with just your fingers until you feel just a little resistance and then do your 1/4 - 1/2 turn more with the wrench. Turn the crank until you see exhaust valve starting to come up, then do the same with that rocker bolt/nut. Do the same for the rest of the rockers but in the order that the cylinders fire. Remember, when you're adjusting the rockers you have to take into consideration where each valve is resting on the cam lobe. Otherwise, you're gonna have a messy situation on your hands. Quite possibly a bent valve or pushrod because of improper adjustment. If you're unsure, I'd stop into a local speedshop and ask some questions.

Just make sure the Cam is on the base circle for each cylinder you do. Tighten until you cant turn the pushrod with your finger, then 1/2 turn more, then turn the holddown and the locknut together another 1/4 turn. do in order of fire, you will be fine after that. the lifters will compensate for some minor variations. I did this on my 302 that I am installing in the Gf's notch and have spun that thing to 6500+...