SCT chip not fitting securely onto ecu

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i have an sct 4 bank chip on an a9l ecu. LOONG story short, it is not fitting "tight" to the ecu board. when i hit hard bumps, or shut my passenger door, it causes a major disruption to the car. some of you saw my in-car video a few weeks ago. that was results of the chip being loose. we made the issue "better" by packing cardboard around it, then closing the ecu case around it. this worked great for a week or so, now it's shown its ugly head again.

short of a new expensive chip; is there anything you guys know of, that could perhaps slip inside the chip or similar to make this fit tighter? we looked at the fingers on the chip and my friend said he couldnt bend them to increase the tension.

even a good material i could use that will not allow as much movement as cardboard, but will still be form fitting.. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Duct tape. In all seriousness... pull the board from the case, and tape the chip to the board, re-install into the case. This was the first thing that came to mind...

I too have the SCT Eliminator Chip and that is what I did to mine to keep it secure and from backing out. Duct tape. Plus I have the bottom of the computer casing where the chip pertrudes out duct taped also. I read your thread with great interest and did not want to experience the same issue you had.

I duct tape all chips to the case to keep them in and pressed against the board but it sounds like your "female" receptacle is loose.

I would think you could bend the fingers but before I would do that Id check with SCT. They do make Z axis conductive adhesives that you could use with a conductive material to possible increase the thickness of the male board, but that would make me nervous as ****.