Searched to no avail...

Ok, if the crank bolt snugged up to spec and you did not experience binding, it should be ok. The crank pulley (for the serp belt) lining up with all other pullies is a clue that the HB is seated to spec. You can also look at your old balancer's snout. Look for the groove from the crank seal. See if it looks like the crank seal would be sitting on about the same spot on the new balancer's snout.

The crank pulley is connected to the balancer - neither will move by hand unless you eat a box of wheaties an hour. :)

I hate to say it, but double check your belt routing again. It is easy to mess up the over and under parts around the idler pulley and tensioner pulley. Otherwise, generally speaking, the ribbed part of the belt goes against pullies with ribs on them, and the smooth part of the belt goes against pullies with smooth surfaces.

I wonder if you went over the top of the top idler pulley instead of under it. That would make the belt too big.

Good luck.

• Sponsors (?)

The idler pulley is the one you adjust to get the belt on, right? I checked all the pulleys, looks like all the ribbed parts of the belt are against with the ribs on them and the smooth part of the belt goes against pullies with smoe surfaces.

law said:
Question, once you put the crank pulley back on should it be able to move freely like the rest of the pulleys? Second question, now my belt is too big. I am pretty positive that I routed it correctly. What the hell is going on?
no, it should not move freely like the rest of the pulleys. turning that one turns the crank, which moves the pistons and turns the cam which moves the valves. it should actually be pretty hard to turn.

is it way too big, or just a little bigger?

Thanks blackvert. Hissin50 you were right I went over instead of under. Thanks for everyones help I could have not done it without you guys. I saved myself a lot of money on labor and I learned a lot in the process. Thanks again for all your patience. I am going to eat and finish it off, let you know the results.

The feeling of a task well done feels good internally and on your pocketbook. Nice work (next time will be much easier). :nice:

Well I started it up and it is making a loud noise and it is coming from the balancer. I want to take it for a spin but I dont think that sound can be good.

There are no leaks so far and the noise seems to be disipating some. It idles better thats for sure and I have not set the timing. I want to taken for spin but I am not sure.

Well I took it for a spin. Idle is much better. That noise is gone. Power is better and better yet it does not ping at 1500rpms. It still does ping over 3k but I still have not checked the timing. I will have to buy a timing light and do that. There are no leaks. I am sure once I set the timing it will run even better. Once again thanks for everyone who helped out.

What kind of noise was it making? That is not right. I would look for carnage (it might have self-clearanced whatever was making the noise. Meaning it beat whatever was hitting it until it no longer hit it).

Glad it feels and runs decent. :nice:

HISSIN50 said:
The crank pulley is connected to the balancer - neither will move by hand unless you eat a box of wheaties an hour. :)

I could turn over my motor by hand when changing my balancer. Maybe I'm just super strong! :D (although I have a scar on my left hand where the balancer sliced my palm open :()

law, glad to hear it's running better. I'd check that timing asap, don't wanna mess something up over something so simple. :nice:

Chris, you are the man! Did you by chance have the plugs out? With the plugs in, it should take decent leverage, even with a breaker bar to turn over.

Chris, if I dont have an extra jack around, can you come over and hold the car up? :rlaugh:

HISSIN50 said:
Chris, you are the man! Did you by chance have the plugs out? With the plugs in, it should take decent leverage, even with a breaker bar to turn over.

Chris, if I dont have an extra jack around, can you come over and hold the car up? :rlaugh:

lol, plugs were in IIRC. Sure thing, if you ever need someone to tow a vehicle, I'll just come by and pick it up, lol.