Should I buy a 96 with blown up motor???

• Sponsors (?)

talk to me bad92 and 5spd.... I've always liked the 96-98 cars.. i would consider selling my coupe to mess with one.. are they that nice?? what are your expirences with them over having fox's??

Well I would hate to be responsible on letting your get rid of that nice fox:)

They both have there pros/cons, so I get on a 'soapbox' when someone talks down about a car when they know very little or pretend to know more than they really do:nono:

The 4.6L aftermarket is growing strong and getting cheaper and more readily available.

Although if your 5.0L is reliable, I would keep it and not worry about it:nice:

I was just fortunate enough to be able to get a 2nd driver that was nice and so I did:) It by far isn't the best daily driver or the worst. But it is very reliable and rides nicer (newer)...

There are sometimes I have thought about selling the 98 and put that cash towards the 5.0, they are just so much fun, but I know I would regret going back to having 1 car later though:(

The short story is, if you can get a deal on an V8 Mustang, be it a 5.0 or 4.6, you can do good things, and probably for cheap. Liked the power my 97 T-bird had, that 4.6 had good power and not nearly as peaky as the 5.0's i've played with for 20 years. If you threw some parts into those moters, sounds like a fun car! I'd run with the right deal!:nice:

top end when they make alot of power.. is completely different than a 5.0.. you have to like high RPMS and horsepower, not so much torque to want one. I love mine, good gas mileage, burn the back tire off, sounds mean as hell, yet reliable, clean as hell, and looks good.. I'm happy with the change.. besides.. it is the underdog

yep, i like my foxes, ive had 4 in the past 3 years and a 95 in there too, out of all of them, the 95 rode/handles/braked/no squeeks/rattles/**** breaking/ect. but my dad didnt like the looks of the 94-98 cars and always liked foxes, so I went with it, bought me a 84 then a 86 then a 90, then we found a mint 93 notch, it is the only fox I have rode in that has none of the fore mentioned crap, and the first low low mile terminator or mach engine that comes around it going in with the quickness, for one thing, the 4.6 is the underdog but is lots and lots faster than a 5.0, better driveability, gas mileage, ect. I like my 7up vert as a daily, it is getting more modded by the day, and thats all well and good, but, anyday of the week I would trade for a 94-04, I just have to sell my 86 first lol

im not bias,i do drive a 96 gt but i was actually going to buy a 93 before that and it was sold on me,came across this car,found a deal on it and im beyone happy that i got it,it has always run right with all my friends in thier foxes.like i said in my earlier post,i like ALL mustangs,im just a mustang fan period but when someone starts throwing out statements that arent true then i figured i would come in and defend.i think the entire thread has gone off topic.basically the kid wants to know if he should buy if he's getting a good deal and like i said,yeah deff take the car if you can get a good deal.it has potential like every othere one.

with the mods in my signature and no tune at all i put 280hp to the wheels. with a good tune and a chip im hoping for 300hp. and i have very little invested. most of it was used, and found very easy. so dont rule out sohc engines yet. i have beaten plenty of 5.0 cars. and i made a 167 mph pass at the local air port with it to. thats with 3:73 gears.

yea. whatcha need?

edit: slow95gt also helped. as he does with most of my projects.

Oh i dont need anything, but ive always liked that body style, and ive had foxes since i was 17 and i would love to try out the 4.6.. I just know that working on a fox is really easy, and the SOHC cams have me intimidated otherwise i would contimplate selling my notch for one...

Oh i dont need anything, but ive always liked that body style, and ive had foxes since i was 17 and i would love to try out the 4.6.. I just know that working on a fox is really easy, and the SOHC cams have me intimidated otherwise i would contimplate selling my notch for one...

cam swap is ALOT easier in a SOHC car then a 5.0.. 5.0 you have to pull the intake, radiator, valve covers, timing cover.. all that.. in a SOHC car, you pull the valve covers, keepers, pull the timing chain loose, and set in another set, done deal! Thats what i like about it, not a big deal to drop a set of cams in

I spent sometime looking at the car today. So much more comfortable and luxurious than my notch. Its super nice except for the blown motor. The car definitely has some serious street potential. Its also got a ton of add ons. I havent discussed any deals with him yet, I just dont know what to do. The hardest part is trying to figure out if this would be some major work.

before any one rules out the 4.6 2v go pick up this months issues of 5.0 magazine and look at there article. they made 401 NA hp and 648 blown hp. with a 2v it was a 97 bottom end and a ported pi head and intake swap. had basically the same heads,intake,cams and exhaust that my car has. i was like WTF but then again i put down 280 with NO tune and an injector unplugged. which i discovered last week (3 weeks later) but still with nothing but bolt on they made 401 hp naturaly aspirated and for under $1500 cant go wrong with that. im gona get a tune and go back but i should be putting down around 350 ish to the tires. they were on an engine dyno and there numbers where to the crank and the 648 blown hp was with 11psi.

Im really tempted to sell my fox here and find a nice 96-98 car... hmm... :rolleyes:

Im sure I could find someone to trade a nice stock 96-98 for my coupe

if didnt already have a money pit coupe i would take you up on that... your car is really nice. every one thinks the 96-98 are crap but truth be told they have more potential than the 99-04 gt's. i know with no tune and one injector completly unplugged i can out run a 2000 gt with cold air intake,full exhaust with no carts and 4.10 gears. i can take him off the line and in top end. its not even a contest. i am really,really,really anxious to see what my car is putting down with a tune. or even now that i found the problem.

if didnt already have a money pit coupe i would take you up on that... your car is really nice. every one thinks the 96-98 are crap but truth be told they have more potential than the 99-04 gt's. i know with no tune and one injector completly unplugged i can out run a 2000 gt with cold air intake,full exhaust with no carts and 4.10 gears. i can take him off the line and in top end. its not even a contest. i am really,really,really anxious to see what my car is putting down with a tune. or even now that i found the problem.

Im interested in seeing what you put down as well, from your mods all you have is heads cam and intake right? Does the car have a lopy cammy idle? i oh so love that about my fox!! :nice:

Im interested in seeing what you put down as well, from your mods all you have is heads cam and intake right? Does the car have a lopy cammy idle? i oh so love that about my fox!! :nice:

basically yea.. comp 270 cams (no you dont need cut pistons) pace setter long tubes, patriot performance heads (patriots heads are just stock heads with a port job) .600 lift springs, MAC off road h-pipe, proffesional products upper plenum and throttle body, stock PI lower intake and a bbk cold air intake. and as far as my drive line goes i have a fidanza clutch, stock transmission and 3.73's. i had 36# injectors in it at one time but it is actually faster with the 19's. guess it had to much fuel. i found the unplugged injector when swapping the 19's back in. power doesnt seem to really hit untill about 3000-3500 but when it does it comes all the way to red line and it hits hard.

edit: my idle is noticably different than a stock GT's but its not as loppy as your car. or at least it doesnt seem that way now. its been a while since i have heard your car.