Should I get Cherry Bombs?

So I finally have a job and I have been dying to put a louder exhaust on my car (cause the flowmaster 40s are pretty weak) and I was going to get some kind of glasspack. I first looked at the cheap ones, like purple hornies and red hots and then I figured, screw it, I'll just go all the way and get the cherry bombs. I have a 70 Grande with a 351C in it, mildly modified and I am going to put headman headers on at the same time as the new mufflers. Everyone I talk to says that they are too loud and I wont like them, but thats the point- to be loud. None of these people are car people I might add. I mean, it is a muscle car. I like their moto, "disturbing the peace since 19-whatever." I'm really looking for some insite here. What are some people personal expiriences with glasspacks (perferably cherry bombs but any will do) and what are your opinions.

Thanks,
Tim

• Sponsors (?)

Back then we considered the Cherry Bomb the cheapie. When the fiberglass goes, they get really loud.

glasspacks-cutaway_lg.jpg

Something like this, straight through with outer chambers won't blow out and change tone, and will be mild when you take it easy, sound great when you get on it. Something similar was used as factory equipment on 55-57 Corvettes, and as the optional "off-road" muffler through 62.

h3010-1a_example.jpg

I have 2 1/4 inch exhaust with the purple hornies on my 69 351W. Those are too loud, with the cam I have.
I like the sound of glass packs, but I put magna flows on my mildly built 289, and I love those......
Before you spend any money, maybe you can find somebody locally that has a set you could use for a sound check.

Mufflers are really hard to reccomend on a board.....they are so subjective....

I had Cherry Bombs on my '65 fastback, and the plusses are they tuck up under a lowered car nicely and they are cheap. The negatives are lots of interior noise and (in my opinion) a lackluster tone. I have a pair of el cheapo turbo mufflers on my car, and I like the sound better.

Hmmm...all very interesting points.
The car is my daily driver, and I really don't want to get a ticket for noise every week. I might now get spintech mufflers, but man they are pricy, $180 if I want my two, and who knows how much more for the installation labor. My friend has them on his project Trans Am, but I haven't heard them in a while and everything on their site makes the mufflers sound quiet, but I remember them being pretty loud and throaty sounding. Anyone know much about spintech?

Spin Tech have a couple of different models.My buddy has them on his 347 Falcon and they have a tame idle but sound bad under throttle.

You want loud? I'll sell you my old Flowtech Warlocks with side exit pipes and removable cap for "open exhaust". They were in within 2 dB of a open long tube 11:1 289 in a rev contest.

I have a 70 Grande with a 351C in it, mildly modified and I am going to put headman headers on at the same time as the new mufflers.

Do you have headers on it now with the Flowmaster 40's? If not, I would add the headers, keeping the 40's and try that before swapping mufflers. I am using Hooker Comp headers into 2.5" exhaust with Flowmaster 40's and can't imagine putting anything louder on there. Lastly, IMHO I would be more concerned with the tone (sound quality) the muffler puts out rather than just the loudness. I have heard plenty of "loud" cars that sound like a $500 sh%tbox driving down the road, but were actually pretty nice cars.

So I finally have a job and I have been dying to put a louder exhaust on my car (cause the flowmaster 40s are pretty weak) and I was going to get some kind of glasspack. I first looked at the cheap ones, like purple hornies and red hots and then I figured, screw it, I'll just go all the way and get the cherry bombs. I have a 70 Grande with a 351C in it, mildly modified and I am going to put headman headers on at the same time as the new mufflers. Everyone I talk to says that they are too loud and I wont like them, but thats the point- to be loud. None of these people are car people I might add. I mean, it is a muscle car. I like their moto, "disturbing the peace since 19-whatever." I'm really looking for some insite here. What are some people personal expiriences with glasspacks (perferably cherry bombs but any will do) and what are your opinions.

Thanks,
Tim

Do you have (or want) a mullet?

I have some el cheapo glasspacks behind a 10:1 and cammed 5.0 with 2.5" exhaust and I love the sound.

I am also currently growing my mullet.

In my opinion they aren't that loud and they certainly aren't going to get you a ticket.

Here's the deal, its a muscle car not a Honda - its going to be loud, smell like exhaust, and drink gas.

I will grant you that they don't sound as good at idle as some other brands, but when they are screaming at 6500 rpm they sound awesome!

Good luck...

Posted via Mobile Device

i think once you change to the headers you will be surprised how the volume goes up. search the for sale ads or craigslist etc find some cheap mufflers that you want to try, bolt them up and see how they sound... thats what i did :). ( sell them after for the same price )

I have Thrush glasspacks(better perforated core, not louvered) with Hooker longtubes, 2.5" Shelby-style side exit pipes, and an H crossover. It's too loud. I also have a split pattern cam so the idle sounds a little funky, but the cruising/accelerating note is nice. It's just too loud.

I LOVE my Cherry Bombs - I switched from the Dronemaster Delta Flows, and wish I had done it sooner. $30 got me a pair of them with lifetime warrantee. Had some Dynomax Bullets in my high school car (the one in the avatar) and my Dad had some Magnaflows on his 351C Mach, which were also nice, but the 'packs are my favourite. Here's a vid of my car with them on there.

YouTube - Jimmy's 1967 Ford Mustang Convertible

Those Cherry Bomb glasspacks have a lifetime warranty?

I usually don't like the sound of glasspacks. But maybe that is because the ones I hear are always burned out. I have noticed that the glasspacks I like are usually the long ones. The short glass packs are too raspy sounding and pop too much.

Your 67 sounds good. Is the 302 stock?

I heard another Mustang on youtube with cherry bombs and it had a cam and some other stuff and it didn't sound that good.

Those Cherry Bomb glasspacks have a lifetime warranty?

I usually don't like the sound of glasspacks. But maybe that is because the ones I hear are always burned out. I have noticed that the glasspacks I like are usually the long ones. The short glass packs are too raspy sounding and pop too much.

Your 67 sounds good. Is the 302 stock?

I heard another Mustang on youtube with cherry bombs and it had a cam and some other stuff and it didn't sound that good.

Thanks! I bought 'em through AutoZone, and they give me a lifetime warrantee on 'em. My 302 isn't stock, but it's not really modified...it's ,040" over, and all the bolt ons, but stock heads and cam and "only" running a 2" exhaust with an h-pipe, which is as much flow as what I have needs. I chose longish glasspacks because short ones wouldn't really sound right on mine...it's more of a cruiser than it is a pony/muscle car, and I sort of wanted that sound you associate with a 50's kustom cruising down the boulevard to the drive-in. After all, that's what I do with my Mustang!

As to the Flowmasters (which v8only brought up), they were loud enough - about as loud as my CB's, maybe a tad louder - I just didn't like the sound quality, IMHO they earned their "dronemaster" reputation. They were Delta Flow 40's, so two-chamber units. To each their own...I happen to love the sound of glasspacks and exhaust baffles, but then again I also happen to think both Chevys and Mopars sound better than Fords...:shrug:

To the OP - I would recommend Dynomax Race Magnum Bullets for you. They have some glasspack-y sound qualities and being only 12" are pretty damn loud. They'll be a little more spendy than Cherry Bombs but they don't burn out, the packing is ceramic-something.

Wow got a lot of input here, I like it. I ended up buying some Spintech Sportsman Street mufflers off of my friend for $75, and seeing as thats cheaper than one new one, I am happy. I'm going out of town today, but when I get back on Thursday, I plan on renting an engine hoist, putting on those headers, and then DRIVING my car (despite it sounding like a WW2 bomber) to my favorite muffler shop to have them put on. I am going to make a video of it when its all installed and I will be sure to put it on here.